Learning Piccolo Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christophac7, Aug 31, 2012.

1. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I actually think it would clean (desinfect) it :O

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Seriously waste of ale

3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    You could give the rust-filled beer to someone you don't like, like a the woodwind guy complaining about how a noise you make.

4. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    Remember you can't force the high notes on a picc, if they don't come easy they wont come at all. it is a more delicate instrument than the Bb. Don't aim too high, you won't be able to play brandenburg right out of the box. Listen to someone really good (Maurice Andre is the best in my opinion), but don't expect it to be easy at all. Also, try not to play the picc and not the Bb for too long (always the temptation with a new horn) because your Bb playing will get so much worse. Other than that play around and see what works best for you. This is the advice i usually give to students who are starting to play the Bb. if you don't find it is working for you get some lessons before you develop bad habits.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Maybe not messing about too much with mouthpieces. I play the same on on all my tpts. Although I am tentatively looking for something a little more helpful than my 3C Heavytop

And Gijs how about sending the rust, slime and yuk filled beer ove to the States for those Damned band directors who are trying to ruin our upcoming players chops

6. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Cornyandy plays a 3C :O (I play Yamaha 14C4, going on safari this week)

And YES. I really haven't heated of a conductor that doesn't try to outsmart you. Like my conductor, a typical use-a-Bach-Strad-and-mpc guy.

7. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    OK--if you're a rank amateur (as am I) here's some advice that's worked for me:
    1) Don't overblow
    2) Use a mouthpiece that gives good intonation (difficult on pic) and a characteristic sound. I use a much shallower mouthpiece than I do on my other horns (a traditional pic mouthpiece like Shilke 14a4a).
    3) Limit practice to 10-15 minutes per day or every other day; too much playing on pic is COUNTERPRODUCTIVE
    4)Practice literature as etude books are limited and (for me) not very helpful. The one exception is Gekker's piccolo book which I found useful in getting the fingering patterns down.
    5) Ignore everthing above if you have a good teacher with experience on this instrument

8. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

That's #1 for a good reason.

I'll add that you should find the horn to play better with a smaller mouthpiece than your regular one although there are always exceptions.