Learning quintuplets, heptuplets etc.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I've had a few sessions learning the trumpet solo at 0:55 by playalong

The ornamentation is a bit of a challenge to work out (still not 100% sure on the 4th phrase), and there's a few of the more obscure tuplets in there, specifically 5s and 7s.

I've transcribed it as best I can into MuseScore, but when I run that, the rhythm seems too precise and mechanical. https://soundcloud.com/seth_of_lagos/sundown

What does the panel recommend as the best approach to learning these figures while still maintaining a relaxed flow to the melodic line.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Video is "not available" in the US.

However, my take on any group of faster notes is to aim for the long note after them:
    A triplet followed by a longer note (e.g. Beethoven 5, Mahler 5, Hummel opening fanfare) is not "one two three one" but "one two three four".

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :-(:-( Not available here !! Too violent? ROFL

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Have you guys banned spaghetti imports? :dontknow:

I'm okay with the 2s, 3s, & 4s, Ivan. Even a 'normal' 5. But take the opening flourish in this piece. It's a heptuplet A B C B A G A, and that final A is sustained through the next few beats. So there's nothing on the downbeat to aim for.

The 4th phrase run fits 9 notes into a beat somehow, but rather than being a regular pattern they seem to start slowish and just gradually get faster through the run. Absolutely no idea how to notate irregular note values. I've got it annotated semi/4xdemi/4xhemi just for the sake of getting something on paper.

I guess the way I'm practising it is just mimicking the sound and phrasing on the film (the one you can't see), which seems freer in style than anything I can jot down in MuseScore. Maybe that's the way to go :dontknow:

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    A, b with a mordent, a with an inverted mordent. That's how I would notate it, if I'm understanding what you saying. That takes care of the irregular note values, since mordants are open to artistic interpretation.

Also, learning by rote/mimicking is 100% valid. Nothing wrong with it.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One trick for 5's and 7's is to assign a text over the beat. For example, "Vulgano Brother" or "I want more money" for 5's and "Wanna wanna wanna be" for 7's works for me.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Agreed, but don't forget the following note (or rest).
    5s in this case would be
    "Vulgano Brother rocks (or sucks)"
    7s
    "Wanna wanna wanna be loud"

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Here's the tune by itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjB8P-rZG-4 . I concur with musicalmason; just take it a step at a time; repeat until you've got it. Once you've got it, maybe your notation will be more accurate, but sometimes notation is a guide, rather than an instruction.

9. zerbinatti

zerbinatti Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2012
    Brazil
    That is nice! Wondering where could I find the score