Learning timeframe?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Dec 16, 2011.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Hey so i was just curious about this thought, and seeing that there seems to be a lot of instructor/teacher/coaches on here i wanted to ask ... Do any teachers have an expected timeline on ones learning?

Say a student starts from scratch, could he walk into a teachers studio and the teacher after evaluating him/her be able to determine roughly how far the student should, and how quickly the student should be progressing? I guess its all relavent, on the myriad of factors involved in trumpet playing.

Would an instructor advise giving up if the student after 2 years still couldnt play a decent second line g, advising maybe he should play piano.

Would a teacher after evaluating be anticipating a student to be able to play a range from low f to g on top in a year. or is there some rough time frame used by teachers like a yard stick kinda thing?

Do teachers apply such things to their students?

Just curious

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    My experience is that the student will get frustrated much quicker than the teacher. The teachers have been through it 100's of times. Instructors are patient. If the student really wants to play the trumpet, the instructor will know it and work with him/her. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule for timeframe. I would expect noticible results after 10 lessons though. All the opinions stated here are my own.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A good read is Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. He makes a compelling argument that in an ungraded, non-judical system, the student will flunk themselves out.

If they don't practice, their playing gets worse and they have less incentive to practice. If they want to improve they'll practice more. Sometimes the best lesson that a teacher can give is that the trumpet is hard to play.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No time line. I just expect the student to be serious. Then we have plenty of progress to both enjoy. As we are NEVER finished, it is only important to get a feel for short and medium term success.

I would say that after 5 years of lessons, you should be able to play a lot of music.