Learning to play at 45

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by duderubble, Mar 4, 2012.

1. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    So my son's playing has gotten me interested in giving it another go. I played in 4th and 5th grade and stunk up the place. Hated our band director who was a mean old guy, so that didn't help. I can kind of play a C scale, but it sounds woofy above the G (in the staff). What are the chances that at forty five I could get to the level that I could enjoy myself? Anyone done it? Any advice?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Welcome to TM duderubble! You can learn to play trumpet at any age. 45 is not too young, or too old for the matter. I would get a beginner book for trumpet, a good teacher, and some time. You will soon learn that trumpet is a great instrument and it can get confusing. As for a teacher, see if there is a community band where you can ask a trumpet player if they will help you.
    Best of luck,
    Cody

3. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    I guess if I decided to use a teacher I could use the same one my son uses. Any advice for getting a little ways on my own before I go that route? Having a tough time getting that next slot, any tips or tricks I'm missing or is it just practice?

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Welcomeaboard duderubble. It is admirable to restart. Whenever we quit because of someone else, it is always the wrong reason. I always strive to prove the "mean ones" wrong! When they get under my skin, I like to smoke 'em by proving to them, that they are wrong. I've spent many years leaving "Dust in their faces." Best Regards!

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That would work. Like I said, get a beginner book or maybe your son has one. How good is your son? Can he play a piece of music if it is put in front of him? How about working with him and the teacher? The best solution, for the inexperienced to the experienced, is to practice.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Get Herbert Clarke "Elementary Studies" and work on that for a little. Great book to get started.

7. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011

Better than I ever was. He can play something set in front of him with good tone and up to the G that sits on the staff. Still has mistakes of course and the high notes are a stretch. He's playing brand new music right now. He makes me jealous. Just 12 years old, playing since September. I can use his book. Think I'll get my own horn though. Looking for an olds ambassador on ebay. Maybe a cornet, then we have one. I hate to take away from his time with the teacher though, he's doing really well. After a couple of months on my own I may get lessons for myself, What I'd like is a monthly lesson, rather than weekly. Any reason not to do that?

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Nope, nothing wrong with that. By practicing with you son, I meant just on a Saturday afternoon when you are bored just sit down and play with him. Not a 3 way lesson, that could be confusing.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    That's what my son and I do.

Mike

10. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Kid makes me sick, I bought him some music with an accompaniment track yesterday. He started playing "How Great Thou Art" less than an hour ago and is playing along with the track now.