Learning to play at 45

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by duderubble, Mar 4, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I am a comebacker -- at it 3 or so years now --- and at nearly 47 years of age --- it can be done --- and you can do it --- and yes it takes practice, patience, and time ---- and try NOT to get frustrated with yourself. Other than that -- what can I say????? so your son might progress faster than you --- I bet he can run farther also ----- so don't have a coronary trying to prove anything, and you will have mastered some attributes you need to conquer the trumpet -- patience, and understanding ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Enjoy something wonderful you and your son can do together. Some fathers play catch. You and he can learn the wonderful feel of music. YOU have the advantage! A piece of music like an any art, it to convey emotion. I can ALWAYS tell a mature player from the young one. The proper notes and verve is for the young. The older player plays from the heart and puts themselves and their life experiences into it. Compare the young player and the mature man playing the jazz piece as done by Chet Baker, "You don't know know what love is". How can a "boy" know what that is about?
    I am 74 years old and welcome anywhere in my area; provided the crowd is over 50. They know and feel the emotion coming out of the end of my horn. Does it sound like I enjoy it? You bet! You can too. Lean and grow music with your son. You have a GREAT opportunity. GO FOR IT!

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I started back at 50 - after 37 years away - and I've just turned 60 - it gets better by the day, and it blows golf into the weeds. Trumpetting, it's music to the ears. ;-)

4. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    I am sure that you can become a decent player. Desire is 99% of the equation. Setting aside at least one hour a day may be the other 1%.
    Some people do best when there are others to sort of compete with. It may be quite difficult to be part of a band these days as brass band positions on trumpet are limited and usually go to the very skilled. But you can get around that easily. Just be willing to find three or four guys like yourself who are willing to play under a street light or in a garage or on a pier and expose themselves to the public a bit. Getting feed back from the other guys and seeing what people like to hear can carry you a long way.

5. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    get a Lutheran hymnal and also the blue covered Rubank Elementary beginning method for trumpet.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I started at age 57. And it has been fun and challenging! And I was a former musician, but had no brass experience as I played lead alto in a big band. You CAN do it. Get some good basic instruction books, and a good teacher. There are good teachers online also. And (as MF stated) the most important thing is to have FUN!

7. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    It does help to be born with tons of talent but in many cases the guy that plugs along can pass the naturally gifted after a few years. Oddly some instruments seem to resist players more than others. professional level trumpet players exist in high schools at times but try to find a baritone horn player or trombonist that reaches that level in high school and it will be quite a long search. the trumpet seems to lend itself to being well learned. That is sort of opposite of what one would expect in ways as the higher the pitch of the instrument the more critical it becomes to be on pitch. A trombone that is two cents off in tune may sound just fine but a trumpet that pegs notes just slightly off pitch can be hard to take.
    Nature does what nature does. Nature may conspire for us or against us. Apparently nature likes trumpets.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    OUr elementary band teacher wouldn't let me play trumpet in 5th grade... 6th.. different school but same guy for concerts, told me and 2 other players we'd never amount to anything... 7th grade was playing first .. we didn't have chairs until 8th ... first chair ... 10th grade the same guy walked up to me after some PTA thing the jazz band was playing at and told me...wow, that was very good .... vindicated ... looking back he really wasn't a bad guy .. but you know kids
    but I digress
    Try to put in an honest amount of practice everyday. You might pick up some easy play along cds to keep it fun. Oh, and don't get too hung up on range.

9. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    I started back three years ago at 51 and I'm probably a better trumpet player than golfer - and I love golf

10. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    I think I'll be satisfied if I can get just one more "slot" that g above the staff seems to cover all the music I'm interested in at this point. I'm also thinking cornet.