Learning to play at 45

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by duderubble, Mar 4, 2012.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Most of the essential technique books or other beginner method books now come with a CD. I suggest one of these because it shows the fingerings as well as gives you a chance to listen to notes/ rhythms, etc. Lessons are good for preventing bad habits from starting.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you're motivated Chances = 100%

With what I have already read, the advice in the above posts will keep you motivated to making my chances estimate accurate.

3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Not sure if it already mentioned .............why don't both of you join a local Brass Band and enjoy the experiences together
    There might even be a beginner band that is a intro to the main

4. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Here in Lebanon MO I think all we have is a jug band.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    don't forget "below the staff" either --- lots of community band stuff that goes to the A, and sometimes the G below the staff..

"""Here in Lebanon MO I think all we have is a jug band.""""" -------perhaps you could start a band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Actualy I was told there is a band, but I think they only play once a year.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Not sure how good the one brass teacher may be. He may be very good, but if not you could consider Skype lessons.

8. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    I think that he is good for now. I'm sure my son will outgrow him in a year or two. He is a brass guy with 30 years experience as a high school band leader and has taken many state honors and has had many private students go on to professional careers (jazz and symphonic), but his first instrument is trombone. When it's time we'll go down the road an hour where there are two colleges that offer private lessons.

9. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Double post

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Sounds like he is a very good place to start. he should be good for both of you for sevevral years or longer. Have fun. let us know how it goes