Learning to play at 45

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by duderubble, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Sounds to me like you have the right stuff and are saying the right things, particularly as a father. Compliments to you and your son, Sir. Get your own horn and stick with it (Ambassador is a fine choice. Cheap, sturdy, dependable, and hard to outgrow...and as old as you are). It is a slow process when you are older, but well worth the investment. I started back after nearly 30 years at age 49 and, no kidding, sounded like a kazoo first time at it again.

I like the different teacher idea. And, if I didn't have a family to feed and educate, I'd move back to Greensboro and beg Mr. Grier to teach me how to play right! Care to join me? Maybe he'd offer a group rate! Best wishes. :thumbsup:

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Jackson, I teach Skype lessons and I'm not expensive.

3. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    You are too kind, Sir. I will keep that in mind.

Sorry, Duderubble. I may have unintentionally highjacked your fine thread, but this is great stuff.

4. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    No problem at all. I'm now officially looking at the 1946 LA Olds Standard Trombone I picked up off craigslist for $50 and trying to decide if I should attempt to learn to play it or try to sell it to buy a trumpet/cornet. Trombone sure comes easier, just goofing around, I could play a B Flat scale in about 15 minutes.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Before you make a final decision, PM Kingtrumpet. He may be able to advise you on this.

6. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Why is that? Trying to save a potential convert from the evils of trombone? LOL

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, Kingtrumpet has been a real proponent of the trombone assisting with trumpet phrasing. He has been posting such information on the trombone forums. He really may be able to offer serious insight as to how the trombone may help you. I know... "Kingtrumpet" and "serious" in the same sentence does seem like an oxymoron, when simply using just Kingtrumpet in a sentence would just simplify to moron; however, in the case of trombone/trumpet interface, Kingtrumpet becomes our idiot savant.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You could try a Tenor Horn - has the same fingerings as trumpet, plays in treble clef, has a mouthpiece between trumpet and trombone - pitched in Eb I think but you can play reading straight off trumpet scores.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES - KT had a nice little vid recorded switching from trombone, to my little Eb alto horn, and then to the trumpet -- all recorded on my new Zoom Q3, but apparently it didn't download. Hopefully this coming weekend I will have some time (to try a different computer) and get that on youtube. But Yes, GM, the trombone seems to be helping with "air suport", in getting decently loud and more importantly "good" sound above the high C (D, E, and sometimes F) --- of course anything over the high C is probably not ready for a video at this time --------more importantly as it concerns doubling -- I believe the most beneficial advice I got on the trombone was from local357, and also PeterMcneill on here ----and mostly to ease into the NEW instrument for several weeks, and not going "wild" on the new instrument ----- and then after a month or so, to start switching within the practice between trombone and trumpet. the rest of the trombone (slide position, tone, tonguing, playing music) -- is more of the same with these brass instruments -- Practice, practice, practice, and have patience with yourself!!!!!!!!!!