Learning to play at 45

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by duderubble, Mar 4, 2012.

1. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Funny, my son (12) has been goofing around on the trombone and claims it's helping his trumpet playing.

2. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    45 Is not too old at all! Danny Boy, Maynard Ferguson and the Piedmont Wind Symphony - YouTube at 74. Just don't rush it. If you have any experience without music outside of the trumpet that would help too. I'd recommend getting a decent teacher if you can find one. Just keep practicing, try not to develop bad habits. Most importantly, have fun with it! Music is the best part of my life, and I hope you can enjoy it too!

On a side note, smart instrument choice ROFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl0jXqsRNwk for a lot of people, they claim it helps open up their throat. I've never tried trombone, but it wouldn't hurt trumpet playing at all.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I doubled on Bone for a while. I really liked it and it did help my trumpet playing. I gave me a different perspective on embouchure and air use.

4. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Euphonium is my primary instrument... Besson Sovereign 968. Love the horn, but I'm now enjoying picking up a trumpet (and cornet), having not played either since high school. I got sucked in by an impulse Ebay buy... $50 for a Boehm Meinl trumpet. I'd never heard of the brand, but it got good reviews in this forum, so I decided to give it a try. If it was terrible I'd only be out $50! It arrived with one mismatched valve cap that clattered, and is currently getting a new cap machined to fit, but I enjoyed playing it and was once again hooked! Since I'd gotten a taste of the return to trumpet, I found a copper-belled Conn Director 17A cornet (another eBay buy) to occupy myself with while the BM is being repaired. So I went from zero to two horns just like that.

The "low work" of playing the euph relaxes my lips before and after time with the trumpet. I don't know if the euph helps my trumpet playing... it's too early to tell and I'm still working on getting my trumpet embouchure in shape. Doesn't really matter all that much, though, since I'm enjoying playing on the "high brass" again, and that's what counts!

Pat

5. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    @Pat S... Interesting with playing the Euphonium... My primary instrument is the trumpet,but for fun picked up an Olds Euphonium for cheap off Craigslist and used it to play in Tuba Christmas. I may actually pick up some lessons this year prior to doing Tuba Christmas to make sure to hone in on my playing. We had ~600 (tuba/euphonium/baritone) players show up to play. The conductors had to keep saying F should be played as P.

6. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    From one comebacker to another:

1. Bob Grier's advice is excellent.
    2. Stop comparing yourself to your son (or anybody else). You'll drive yourself crazy.
    3. After you've got a couple months of basics down, start doing things to develop your ear. When I started, I played along with Al Hirt records and then Herb Alpert TJB stuff. (I know, I'm dating myself). Among other things, that's how I developed better pitch recognition and learned odd keys without having to think about sharps and flats.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

-John

7. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Now, that's pretty cool. Would like to hear all those horns playing together. We're feeling real good when "both" of our tuba players show up for band practice. :thumbsup:

8. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I haven't played trombone, but heard from a friend / tuba player and someone else that plays trombone that it helps you work on your breath control, etc. since it takes more air to fill. But I don't think you need to play another instrument to work on that... but it might be a change of pace and that may help some people.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I would also agree with this as well. Applying the right mechanics is all that you need, and developing good technique on trumpet alone will achieve that task.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I will say this..not as an argument but just from my experience as a teen in high school
    I spent the summer learning trombone for fun ... still played the trumpet but when school rolled around in the fall and the Jazz band played for orientation night .... oboy ..not pretty ... I was all over the place. The band director actually enjoyed watching me struggle for a change .... yeah I was a little cocky lead player
    Maybe it was the added breath support ...not sure... just an FYI