Learning Trumpet Fingerings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flashlarue1, Mar 9, 2014.

1. flashlarue1

flashlarue1 New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    I'd like some suggestion on the most efficient methods in learning trumpet fingerings so they become totally intuitive as I'm learning tunes. scales, etc.

Thanks.

2. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to TM! You'll find a wealth of information here.

I don't know what to say other than practise a lot. There's no substitute for solid face time with your horn. With time, scales etc will become effortless as you cease to have to think about fingerings.

Keep us updated on your progress! Congratulations on beginning your journey into the best instrument. ;)

~Noah

3. flashlarue1

flashlarue1 New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    Thanks so much for your suggestions Noah. I'm I guess what they call a comeback player that played in my high school marching and concert band in the middle and late 60's and now 64 with a passion to learn again from scratch. I've forgotten so much through the years but it will not stop me from improving my trumpet skills again. I'm having a ball doing it. I think being part of this group will be very helpful. Thanks for the encouragement and support.

4. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Lift the fingers high and strike the valves hard.

5. flashlarue1

flashlarue1 New Friend

Jan 1, 2011

Thank you

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    One problem of concentrating on scales is that you start grading keys as easy (C, F G) and hard (F#/Gb, C#). And most of the tunes you will be offered will be in the 'easy' keys which will just reinforce this.

One thing I would suggest is spending some part of your practice time playing hymn tunes without music in various keys. Just play by ear and try to hear the intervals as they come up. Fingerings are sort of secondary. The goal is to produce the correct sounds and that is primarily governed by feedback from the ears. By eliminating the paper middle-man and all those frightening sharps and flats you encourage direct communication between ears and fingers, and it's surprising how quickly the fingering patterns start to fall into place. There will just be particular 'colours' of note that will start your third finger wagging away.

Rowuk will probably blow this suggestion to pieces, but it's always worked for me.

7. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Awesome! There are many comeback players here with stories like yours. I'm sure others will chime in as they see this post.

~Noah

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You've received good suggestions so far, flashlaure1. Are you using Arban's? Major, minor and chromatic scale studies begin on page 57 of my copy (magenta cover) and continue through page 86. If you learn these well and get to the point where you can play them at or near tempo with confidence, your trumpet fingerings will be well on the way to being intuitive. Good luck and have fun. This trumpet stuff (including TM participation) has been wonderful for me.
    Jim

9. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    You can exaggerate this with your slower practice speeds.

10. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    This is true. But, "face time" doesn't have to be on your face! :-) What I mean by that is:
    you can practice fingering the horn without blowing through it. Your fingers learn the patterns,
    and you can save your lip for making real music, instead of playing scales.

I'm a comeback player too (a very motivated one), and practing fingering has been super-useful.
    I do 30 minutes to one hour every day on fingering scales, arpeggios, other patterns for jazz improvisation.
    (That's in addition to the face time.)