Learning Trumpet Fingerings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flashlarue1, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would tell my beginning students when playing long tones, "see the note, name the note and move the valves."

2. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    If your able: why not learn the fingerings and develop finger coordination and strengthen the third finger at the same time.

In Clarke's Technical Studies, the second study, (for example) by employing alternative fingerings we can strengthen the third finger and develop greater coordination of the fingers. In #36 of the Second Study in "E" by using the 3rd valve for all "A's" & "E's" the 1st valve is not employed. In #34 by using the alternative fingerings the 1st valve is down all the way. In #27-29 use the 3rd valve for all low "A's" & "E's". The same with #37 & 39 all "A's" & "E's" use 3rd valve. From #40 on, use normal fingerings. By creatively using alternative fingerings we can gain greater coordination and confidence when playing difficult passages.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With fingerings, it's all muscle memory. Start the passages slowly at first then repitition after repition after repition until you get to ABOVE the recommended tempo. The repeat it again, and again...

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The truly Zen way would be see the note, be the note.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO fingering of a three valve brass musical instrument is an eye-mind-finger coordination. The finger muscles may be developed in a similar manner to the muscles in the rest of one's body ... by applicable exercises. What surprises me is that physiologists haven't developed and marketed an adequate exerciser of the fingers that would also assess the coordination and muscle development of finger movement ... the most used muscle movement in the office workplace.

Otherwise, what irks me is to hear fingernails striking the valve keys or the keys on a musical keyboard or those of a computer.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually Ed, I say a device for sale (four valve device) at a local music store when I was in to purchase a stand light. I studied it for a while. It is made out of soft plastic with some firm resistance of the valves (I guess to over-work the finger muscle). I do not remember the price, but thought to myself, I could pretty much just use my pocket trumpet to finger on and come away with the same results, and save on the cost of yet buying another new device.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I remember seeing one of those "plinkers" (3 valve) about 50 years ago, but they offered nothing in the modes of recording speed and accuracy of the player as could evolve.

Otherwise, I've not yet known of any brass musical valves that have equal movement resistance and I really don't believe they could, but it would be fun to find the comparison between brands, models, and the various lubricants just as they come off the assembly line. That would be the ultimate of quality control.

8. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Learning trumpet fingerings is the easiest thing, all the rest is much more complicated !:D

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi flashlarue,
    you stated:
    "Thanks so much for your suggestions Noah. I'm I guess what they call a comeback player that played in my high school marching and concert band in the middle and late 60's and now 64 with a passion to learn again from scratch."
    ----
    I think I can help:
    There are three documents that you can print out for free within this site. They are:
    Circle of Breath. This is very important since almost all problems trumpet are the result of faulty use of air.
    The Basics Sheet. This is real handy since it allows you to be your own teacher of developing good mechanics by using a mirror.
    Vugano Bros. Ray of Power. It looks at where the power comes from.
    As you read, I'm sure you will have questions. Feel free to ask as there are many very skilled and knowledged people on this site that enjoy helping people.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

10. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    The most efficient method I've found is chromatic scales. Play them every day cleanly until the muscle memory takes over. Then keep playing them daily. Helped a lot during my comeback period.

I use them as part of my warm up routine. C down to F (below the staff) then F to F slurred (2 octaves, up and down). Then C to C slurred (2 octaves, up and down). That range covers most of what I'm playing these days.