Learning trumpet in two months

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by duckwheaat, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    I think I would like to also add my best wishes but I think this is an impossible ask. I learnt fast just under a year and that was just to get to a level of holding my own on the 1st trumpet parts in a concert wind band. In a jazz band you will be totally exposed. At least you can read music (I presume) and have developed your ear a tad....
    Get a GOOD teacher is sound advice. what will determine your level of progress is the muscle development, building the muscularity of your chops, ask any body builder if they could start from scratch and in two months enter a high level contest, Once your muscles have developed, you will then need to develop the fine control of them and the airstream and the ....... well everything else.

2. Adrianbyrne

Adrianbyrne Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2010
    Oakville, Ontario
    Get a good teacher.

3. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I have played for 56 years (many of those years not on a regular basis) and I am still learning and finding out there were many things I should have learned as a child but didn't, even with a teacher. I suspect I will still be learning till the day I die.

4. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    You will not be 'proficient' in that time, but you should be able to play the kind of music in a high school jazz band assuming you can read music and if it goes too high, take it down an octave. So keep at it. :-)

Good luck.

5. Masterwannabe

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I must disagree a bit on your comment about being able unless your experience/expectations with high school abilities is very low. I would love to get back to the technical abilities I had in high school, I had private lessons from 4th grade thru 11th grade. I am probably a better musician today but am far from the technical abilities I had then and I am talking about 5 or 6 years of private lessons. Our high school jazz band does not compare to mine in HS but is far, far beyond a one year player.

6. Masterwannabe

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I should qualify my last comment a little, I do not mean to sound discouraging, I wish the OP the best of luck and success. I just think it can be more demoralizing to give someone false expectations than to let them know that what they are experiencing is perfectly normal. If in the process they excel, then great, more power to them. Keep striving for excellence.

7. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    First, get a time machine.....

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Normally, it might be tough to get anywhere in 2 months. But you have a few things in your favor -- you're motivated, you're a bit older, and you have a lot of musical experience. So I think it's definitely worth a try.

Vulgano's advice to not overdo things is a excellent suggestion. In addition, you might want to get a good intro book, like the Rubank Elementary Method. There may a lot of good online resources that might help from Pops (bbtrumpet.com), Eric Bolvin (bolvinmusic.com), and elsewhere.

Finally, I know you aren't able to take lessons. But maybe your band director can sit down with you before summer vacation, to make sure you get started in the right direction.

Enjoy!

Mike

9. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    I don't think being older is an advantage. When you're young and learn an instrument it comes natural, if you're older you will be thinking to much. The advantage is that he has musiacl experience.
    And doing it in two minths without a good teacher. No way. So much things can go wrong and then you have to spend more time undoing what you learned the wrong way.

grz.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    As a high school junior, the OP has a better understand of how to learn on his own. (At least compared to a typical fourth-grader.) That's why his age is an advantage.

The OP didn't ask people to comment on his chance of success, although I'm sure he appreciates any feedback. But what he primarily asked for were tips on how to approach this challenge.

Mike

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013