Learning trumpet in two months

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by duckwheaat, Jun 8, 2013.

1. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Even then you can get a bad teacher! My teacher was new to teaching and 'didn't notice' that I was developing bad habits that he then had to try and correct. Needless to say, they weren't entirely correctable! I'm still annoyed about this all these years later because I am not the player I could have been had I had an experienced teacher who knew what he was doing, rather than being the guinea-pig for a new teacher who only knew what he was doing after he made his mistakes with me.

2. duckwheaat

duckwheaat New Friend

Jun 5, 2013
    Hey guys! Thanks for all the replys and tips. Based on the amount of people saying its not going to happen at all without a teacher, (Or at all) I'm going to try and find one this week and take a break from drum lessons, because I need trumpet lessons a lot more.
    After practicing for 4 days straight with one day off, I can play a low C, D, E, F and something that resembles a G fairly in tune and I'm going to admit that my own question is sounding pretty stupid right now so I'm going to rephrase it. Where should I reasonably expect to be two months after dedicated practice w/ a teacher? I should have also said I have played trumpet before, in 5th grade, although I think my whole range back then was what I can play now so it probably doesn't help much. Thanks everyone!

3. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Yes. Ask around, and then GET LESSONS :D

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Aaaah, then you're a comeback player :-) . Good luck with your re-visit to the trumpet. Even though the consensus view is that two months is way too short a time to "learn to play", this is a serious case of your-mileage-may-vary. I remember seeing kids at high school who made more progress in two months than others did in two years. Same (great) teacher, just different degrees of aptitude and application.

Enjoy

tj

5. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Well why didn't you say so! ("You should have told me we had two toothpicks and a gum wrapper to work with...") You already know how to play trumpet, you merely need to get better in two months. You could probably do that on your own, but better enough for somebody to want to listen to you at the end? Umm, I'd say find a teacher fast. My 5th grade son is on his first year of bassoon. He has had a private teacher all along, and it's amazing to me how good he is in only one (school) year. He'll be joining our community band for its summer session. I figure he's progressing at something like 4x the rate I did, with no teacher.

6. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Yeah, but on a bassoon!!! :D

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I thought this thread was a joke or something.

For reasons already stated, you cannot "cram" to become a trumpet player...this isn't acting or
    studying for a final.

Unless you happen to be a prodigy: Even with good instruction and a serious dedication to practicing daily and doing what the instructor tells you,
    you are looking at a bare minimum of 2 years to acquire skills that would pass for HS level.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey Greg.

The OP is a high school kid with a musical background. He wants to pick up the trumpet over the summer in the hope that he can play in his high school jazz band.

I may be on the wrong side of the discussion. If so, that's okay. We're all friends. But I think it's worth trying.

I wonder ... are there any high school band directors or music teachers out there who have seen this happen?

Mike

9. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Discouragement Not Intended!

I applaud your decision to find a good teacher. We might speculate for you concerning where you might be in two months, but speculation is all that it would be. Why not continue your goals discussion after meeting with your teacher? He/she will be in a far better position to help you identify appropriate reachable goals than we are. About your initial question being stupid, it was not. If you do not know an answer to a trumpet-related question important to you, most of us would encourage you to ask.

Until that first lesson, I suggest you avail yourself of web and other resources that can help you cultivate excellent mechanics and technique. A sound correct (for you) embouchure is hugely important to your development. Also, though it is difficult, try to resist the temptation to push too hard on things like range development. Focus rather on producing a high quality musical tone and, as others have written, limit those practice sessions so that you do not overstress your developing trumpet playing musculature. We are interested in your success. Best wishes going forward.

Jim

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  10. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    So, I am a fairly new adult learner. I thought I could do without lessons to a bit. That thought went away about as gas as yours.
    So I take weekly lessons but work full time and have kids so I am sequestered to 20-60 min a day tops. Although I play whenever/wherever I can (including in car in parking lots (don't trumpet and drive).

I'm coming up on the six month mark and have a range from low Gb to speaking out the beginnings of a top of staff F, and good tone across all up to that. Each note above about mid staff B took a about two weeks to get reasonable. E and F at top taking a bit longer. Sadly, the first thing to go when getting fatigued is the upper end.
    I practice every single day (have missed exactly 3 since I started).
    The thing I see is everything I want to play (mostly New Orleans style trad jazz) requires up to F-C above the staff, but each week I find more pieces I can play as range and technique expand.

I think at the month two mark I was just starting to struggle with C in th staff.

The other thing to consider is coordination between hand/mouth/eyes/brain...but being a drummer this should be easy for you. Although you will surely find this easier than for me, the nuance of technique requires a lot of practice. (A couple of Miles Davis seemingly easily placed notes can take a while to get phrased just right). But again, your background should help out a lot.

Hope that gives some guidance from a fairly new player.