Leblanc sandoval and MArtin committee review

Discussion in 'Horns' started by musicalmason, Apr 2, 2004.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    At a recent JAzz fest I had the oppertunity I had the chance to play test these two horns. I spend an approximate total of a half hour, combined with the horns. I know that is not much time, but I felt I got a desent feel for the horns. First, the MArtin, not impressice. It ws the .465 bore with revese leadpipe and it still managed to be stuffy, I dont know how. The sound was slightly darker than my bach and intonation I felt was about equivelnt to the bach with the exception of d below the staff which was almost twice as sharp as it is on my bach or callet. valve action was desent, very quiet fairly smooth. it brightened up in the upper register nicely, but I couldnt get it to really bark like I can my callet. So, on to the Leblanc sandoval reverse leadpipe. WOW! I loved this horn. very open in every register, the timbe is hard to describe it wasnt dark and it wasnt bright, but it didnt sound at all like a bach. very unique. it opened up very very nicely in the upper register and was in tune all the way to the max of my range at second g above the staff (including the one on top of the staff). intonation on the staff was very nice with the exception of 4th space e which I felt to be a tad flat and the normal d and C# below the staff. the valves were very fast, almost quicker than my fingeres but a tad noisy, not clanky like a bahc, more of a dull thud as they rose, like the top of the valve slammed into the casing. overall I really liked this horn, if I didnt already have a jazz horn Id be seriously looking into the sandoval.

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    What year was the Committee?

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    according to the dealer it was brand new, and it looked like it was fresh from the company, slides were still stiff.

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Oh, one of those...

5. The Trumpet Shop

The Trumpet Shop New Friend

Dec 28, 2007
    I just did a quick search on the Leblanc Sandoval trumpet and this thread came up. Nice positive review. I think it's a fantastic horn, especially for the price. I have one in excellent condition for sale The Trumpet Shop - What's New. If anyone's interested just email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    yeh when most of us talk about a Committee trumpet we are talking like pre WWII that is World War II for all the youngster's. Just like I saw a Reynolds and an Olds the other day on Ebay and these must have been some weird name only versions isnce they looked very cheaply put together and where made in Wisconsin etc.....The Martin COmmittee trumpet of today is one of those in name only marketing inventions that has nothing in common with the ones that us older guys love so much! Like wise Leblanc is kind of in the same gray area as Conn Selmer and all of that famil's brands includeing Bach! Holton was bought out by Leblanc a long time ago and all the good stuff they made vanished as soon as they where bought out. That is the way it goes buy out your competition keep it around to milk it for the rental business and etc....Tomany trumpet's today that have different names but are basicly the exact same as another one with a different name etc........