Ledger Line Syndrome

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Oct 21, 2012.

1. trumpetnewb

trumpetnewb New Friend

Aug 17, 2012
    I always think it would be a much easier instrument to learn and play with other other instruments if the score was always written in concert.

2. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    "Yep, concert keyed music with a signature key of C now has 2 sharps in Bb music. Ou la la! "

Hey Ed,

I say leave out the 2 sharps and hear how good Dorian minor sounds.

Makes me wanna cry like a baby.

Cheers

Paul

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    That's not so difficult in the respect of acquiring a C trumpet which like the piano is a concert keyed instrument, but learning to play a C trumpet is NOT easier to than a Bb one is, albeit I'd say learning one or the other is about equal. Personally, I've never owned or played a C trumpet, but I now sight read concert C music to play on a Bb instrument. Still, I discern a consensus in reading what others have written that with C trumpets such is more difficult to slot and center the intonation.

I didn't learn to sight read concert C music to play on my Bb trumpet because I wanted to ... I had to because that was all that was then mostly available, but subsequently have found that such is doubly practical.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Paul, I've done that when I began, and it is best solo ... so low that no one can hear it when attempting to blend with the rest of the band / orchestra. Don't know if I'd cry as I think I'm rather stoic in sensitivity, but now I certainly wouldn't want to play a duet with anyone that does this. My late Mother, who was an accomplished pianist, clobbered me with her tirade whenever she heard me doing it, whereas I was attempting to play music she was very familar with ... actually then attempting to read her piano music. Dorian? Never found it much value when actually playing, but that and other interesting subjects in the theory of music, which I'd have to now dig in boxes for my college books without space now to shelve them.
    Thank you, I'll add my 2 sharps, move up two semi-tones, and be happy that I can now sight read C music on my Bb picc, trumpet, cornet, tenor trombone, or euphonium. Too, never found a hymnal scored for a Bb instrument so such has been a must in my life.