left elbow soreness.......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gregc, Mar 22, 2005.

1. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Anyone else ever get left elbow tendon irritation/soreness from lots of playing? I've been fighting it since the Fall and can't figure out how to beat it. Been to a couple docs, x-rays OK, tried script anti-inflamatories, goin EZ on it.... nuttin' seems to work. Same thing as tennis elbow, I think, on the inside side of the elbow. Gonna try a wrist brace next (doc recommended). Help!

gregc

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Around 2000, I also was experienceing left elbow soreness. The official diagnosis was "Tennis Elbow." Don't know why, as I never play tennis :-)
    Anyway, I was referred to an Ortho surgeon who did an MRI and found a partially torn tendon. We tried PT for a month and it got worse instead of better. I had also been playing with an elastic band tied right below the elbow to help support the weight of the horn. Eventually I had to have surgery to resect the torn tendon. I could not hold a horn for a month. But now everything is still fine.

Try PT first (Ultrasound, deep muscle massage, etc). And you might want to get an MRI.

Good luck.

3. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Thanks. I just went thru 2 weeks of the PT. It seems to have helped...some. I still can't do much without really aggravating the thing though. This week my Ortho guy thought about giving me a shot of steroids. I donno. I declined that. I may have to ask for an MRI. I'm sure the damn HMO guys don't want them running up MRI bills...:-(
    Thanks again,
    Greg

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I did not want to mention the steroid shot he gave me, right into the tendon. It helped for a while, but then got worse.

And the shot hurt like he**

:cry:

5. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    I had the same thing about twenty years ago, when I was a police officer. I couldn't even hold my service revolver. What resolved the problem was doing curls with weights (dumbells). Start with just the bar and do about twenty reps. Make sure that you do the reps correctly. Seated with the elbow supported at the knee. Gradually add weight and reps each week. By the end of the month I felt great.

The only problem was that one arm was huge and I had to work on the other using the 16oz curls.

Hope this helps.

Gary