left hand position while holding your trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet, Apr 15, 2008.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In my case, I have very wide hands and rather short stubby fingers, so my old boss, 'Bill' Johnson, who was the former owner of York Band Instruments advised that I use whatever grip was comfortable for me, as long as I didn't use my considerable hand strength to "choke the valve engine". He had found in his many years as an instrument maker and cornetist that some men actually deformed the valve casings by using too much strength in their holding of their trumpets/cornets.

OLDLOU>>

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I'm two above and two below . . . I am pretty sure changed from 3 above, 1 below sometime in Jr High as my hands started to grow. As I recall both positions were uncomfortable at first, but became comfortable with use.

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I am using a Yamaha Fluegal horn and that I play one up and three down. Fluegal horns are a strange valve setup. Someone needs to solder a handle the left side.

4. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I have often thought that even with a trumpet. 'Course if they did you'd need to rig some kid of trigger for first and third slides.

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Now I know why you have no trouble "getting a grip" on things. Can't say I have ever seen a deformed valve casing in that manner.:D
    I use 3 up and one down, with the longest digit thru the adjustable ring and the thumb thru the saddle, if any. Some wraps are more comfortabel that others. My Barrington had the widest grip area, and the other two, a little less. The Olds cornet has lots of room and is the most comfortable, as are the other cornets.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    When I was a kid, I played two up and two down with my thumb under the bell tail. Nowadays it's all above with my thumb near the top of the casings under the bell. Seems to be a better angle.

Tom

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Being personal friends and having met for lunch a few times, you are familiar with the shape and considerable size of my 'paws'. I am sure that you understand old 'Bill's' concern about the probability that I could deform some valve casings that were not sufficiently sturdy.

8. davtpt

davtpt New Friend

Jan 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Mctrumpet, whatever works for you and feels good USE IT... John Lynch wrote this concept in his book, I used this grip for many years as a lead player in a Caribbean band, it worked, but in the long run it wasn't the grip, good luck man.

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Zombie Thread--almost 4 years old.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Gah! I didn't see that - read through it all...

Maybe mctrumpet will report in to say how it worked out over the last 3+ years.

(me? 3 up, 1 down)

--bumblebee