left hand position while holding your trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet, Apr 15, 2008.

1. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    just do what is comfortable,, but for the love of god make sure that you can use all of the trumpets features. In England, even only at county youth level we were told that not using your slides is like not using certain valves. while i think this may be an exaggeration, i know that the conductor (a trumpet player) would not accept anyone into KYWO unless they used valve slides appropriately. Personally I have my little finger under the 3rd slide, my middle finger through the ring, my ring finger out of the ring, on top of the 3rd slide and on the bell side of the ring. my index finger resides on the 3rd valve casing. I think this is unusual but it works.

2. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    Too be honest I wasnt sure what I did, so I had had to hold the trumpet, it seems I'm 2 up 2 down, works for me. I certainly need to use the slides to play tuneful notes. When I was learning I was arrogant enough too think everything I was playing was in tune and I didn't need to use the slides! How wrong I was.

3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    May using the 3rd valve slide depends on what you're playing. I've watched a zillion videos of famous jazz trumpeters and I've never once seen that slide used. And some players, like Maynard, but others too who use "ringless" left hand grips seem to manage just fine. Do they just steer the notes into tune?

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    In the register where Maynard was playing, slides are unnecessary. Vids of Mendez playing show him using his slides all the time (he had triggers on both 1st and 2nd valve slides). To determine if you need your slides, do that very simple test: play a D or C# in unisson with a keyboard, or as the 3rd of a major chord with the keyboard playing the other notes (on electric ones you can use a half of a cloth pin to hold the keys down). Does it rub, does it sound wrong? If yes, you need the slide, so use it. If if sounds good, your notes are naturally much lower than 99% of trumpet players, which indicates that other notes maybe out of tune, so I'd do more exploring.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Honestly,
    I am not thrilled with my grip ... I have long thin fingers ... the bell rest between my index finger knukle and the middle joint .. with my middlefinger around the casing. My ring finger is in the ring but there is so much play in there ..like a 1/2 inch ... and the tip of my pinky sort of touches the side of the third valve slide. I have to keep the pinky free so my third finger can move.
    I think my next horn will have a third valve trigger.
    I tried the 2 fingers below thing but frankly it doesn't feel comfortable. I really do like feeling like the horn is balanced on my index finger but working those slides is not easy.

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Maynard (and Arturo, Dizzy, etc...) didn't always play in the upper register. Even in lower registers I've never seen any of the players use slides. Is Mendez a classical player? (I know jazz players mostly and just getting to learn classical players).

7. fragrebel

fragrebel New Friend

Jan 1, 2010
    it's a matter of ergonomics. Before with my learner's grip, my wrist wasn't strong. I'd feel the very weight of the horn so I had to change the angle position. There was a time at which I held the horn in roy hargrove/piccolo style. The grip I use now is easier to manoeuvre around while playing, ie getting notes

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I’m a relaxed player, and have found that 2 up 2 down or 3 down 1 up puts the horn at the correct angle for correct top / bottom lip alignment and also contributes to not using pressure. 3 down 1 up gives me the best horn balance out of both positions. 3 up 1 down was always a pressure contributor for me so I got away from it a long time ago. It’s all a matter of playing smart, personal preference, hand size, and what is most comfortable for playing correctly.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    As far as I know he was classically trained but played all sorts of music. Thing is, it does not really depend on what others were doing or are doing or what music you play. If the slides are necessary to keep the note in tune and centered, the slides must be used.