'Left handed trumpeters'

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by blower, Oct 12, 2007.

1. blower

blower New Friend

Aug 15, 2007
    Peterborough England
    Ok, so we (as a group) are very familiar with Trumpets, Cornets and most brass instruments but have you noticed that pictures are often published back to front? Looking at my modest record collection I notice that Louis Armstrong is playing what looks like a left handed trumpet on a CD called c'set si bon, of course this is just the cover designer not knowing any better. Looking a little further I have a Jazz collection of 3 CDs issued by EMI, all 3 have a back to front Trumpet on the cover. On Miles Davis's CD Trumpet man he is pictured peering at us through the reversed curves of his Trumpet.
    Have a look at your collections, let's see how widespread this is.

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Well, to be on the serious side, I did know a fellow in my undergrad who played the trumpet with his left hand. His right was amputated right above the wrist due to some childhood accident. He was a BEAST of an improver/player too. I really enjoyed sitting next to him. Besides his playing, he was just a fun guy with a great and positive outlook.

3. pbk917

pbk917 New Friend

Oct 11, 2007
    York, PA
    Just look at the ad for Brass Instruments at the bottom of this page. LH Picc. player.

Peter

4. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    I bet that "model" in the picture plays about as much trumpet as godchaser here on the TM :lol:

Its an advertisement.

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    There are left handed trumpets, I have a factory left handed super, 1947 era made for a lefty pro who played Chicago and LA area in the 40s-50s. Finger hook is on the bell tube.

6. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    I am left handed also, but, have learned to do alot of things right handed due to the fact that when I was young, it was weird to be a lefty. It would be interesting to see a left handed trumpet!

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Wingy Manone was a trumpet player who had only one functional arm. HIs got taken off in WW1 or 2, I can't remember which.

8. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    That'd be a pocket trumpet.

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I'll get a photo together and post it.......soon I hope...

10. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Ya Im sure there are horns designed for left handed players. Im just saying I doubt the guy in the ads is a lefty or even plays trumpet