'Left handed trumpeters'

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by blower, Oct 12, 2007.

1. genep

genep New Friend

Feb 1, 2010
    Thankyou A.N.A. Mendez....so it seems that it's just the little finger positioner (whatvever you call that..) that is switched to the other side....is that right???? My husband had a right-side disabling stroke a few years ago and a musician friend told us that a left-handed instrument was available but after looking at your photos I am wondering why we can't just have that finger rest changed (As you can probably tell by now, I do NOT play the trumpet). You have been most helpful, so thankyou again.

2. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington
    Going back to the original question, there was (and maybe still is) a very common practice of reversing or flip flopping images in print and video. In fact, some of the most common television sets that you could probably pictures in your mind are actually backwards from the way that you have seen them so many times on TV. So that's why on a bunch older album covers, some trumpets look reversed. That Miles Davis one has always really bothered me. I'm not sure why they get reversed, maybe it has something to do with the printing or production process.

3. muchan

muchan New Friend

Jul 18, 2009
    Recently I read on TH thread about right hand position, and started experimenting with thumb position and not resting pinky on the ring (or "little finger positioner"). The idea was about to make hand position secure with thumb close to index (and/or middle finger) and leave pinky to move freely with ring finger. (thus the movement of the ring finger becomes easier, more relaxed.) So far it worked well on my experiment.

Now reading this thread, I thought, if moving of "little finger positioner" is enough to play trumpet left-handed, then no change is necessary for "non-rest pinky" trumpeter. and so I experimented playing left-handed with right-hander trumpet. Well, it works!. I'm right-handed, but I am (was?) mainly a string player, also play piano/keyboard, fingers of lefthand can move about the same dexterity (funny?) I found that I can play trumpet left-handed easily.

Well, I don't need to change side only because I can, but it's good to know, that if my right hand will be severely injured, I'll just start practicing with left hand. :)

4. aptrpt12

aptrpt12 New Friend

Dec 14, 2009
    Boston/Providence
    Left handed cornet player! My junior high teacher Jimmy Burke played left handed cornet. What a player! Double tongue like you never heard before. Anyway his right hand was deformed at birth and he had a cornet modified with a spit valve lever that came all the way up to the pinky hook. His right hand had a bit of a finger that he could just grab the horn at the crock but that was about it. He had me playing Magic Trumpet back in 6th grade with band acc. by the music educators Suffolk County Band. To this day he was the most inspiring trumpet teacher I had. He was also a wonderful conductor!

5. DezynGuy

DezynGuy Pianissimo User

Jan 14, 2009
    Burlingame, CA
    I've noticed the same thing, however, in the cases that have caught my eye (mostly ads), it's been a case of the negative getting "flipped" in production, hence the photo is actually reversed.

6. ryancibc

ryancibc New Friend

Nov 8, 2008
    Canada
    I didn't know playing the trumpet was such a problem for lefties. I wonder if right handed people have a hard time playing the french horn?

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I'm left-handed and play the trumpet "normally." The vast majority of the players mentioned in this thread who play (or played, or want to play) left-handed do so because of physical limitations of their right hands. There are plenty of instruments (keyboards, woodwinds) that require digital dexterity of both hands. In short, I don't think handedness has anything to do with playing the trumpet.

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I am also left-handed, and throughout school, played the french horn, which favors lefties. After graduation, I felt the french horn was a crude and unrefined instrument, and began to play the 5-string bluegrass banjo ROFL, an inherently right-handed instrument. I found no difficulty playing banjo, nor does being left handed inhibit my ability to play the trumpet (skill level does, however). Most of us lefties differ from right-handed folk since handedness is in the frontal lobes of the brain. Righ-handed folk tend to be completely right handed (controlled by the left brain), wereas lefties tend toward ambidexterity because the functions of each side of the brain are somewhat "blended", for lack of a better term. I feel being a lefty is a tremendous advantage over being right-handed.

BTW, not only do you see reversed images of trumpets, but I occasionally see drawn illustrations that are backward. :oops:

9. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
  10. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I'm left-handed, and when I started to play trumpet at age 12, my first teacher, who was a very nice lady but not a trumpet player, had me hold the horn, which was a "normal", right-handed horn the school owned, with my right hand and work the valves with my left. The following year, I was in 7th grade (I was a year behind most of the kids), and my junior high trumpet teacher insisted that I hold my horn (I owned my own by then) in the usual way, with my left hand, and work the valves with my right. All these years later, I'm so used to playing trumpet the "normal" way, going back to the way I held the horn originally would feel weird!! I should add that I played french horn in high school, and had no problems with its valves, so I guess, at least where brass instruments are concerned, I'm ambidextrous.