Left Handed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nomojo, Mar 12, 2008.

1. BradHarrison

BradHarrison Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Left-handed trumpets are very rare. Learning on one as a lefty is probably about as common(and practical) as learning to drive a stick(standard transmission automobile) in a British car because doing the gears would be easier with your left hand.

I'm a lefty too and right-handed playing has never bothered me. And my right hand isn't nearly as dextrous as my right hand! But trumpet playing isn't like writing, drawing, cutting, etc. It's not particularly intricate, it's just up and down. I'm sure you'll get used to it soon enough.

2. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I posted this once before on a different thread a while ago. In the article, it says he played a left handed trumpet, for a while. The times article is great. If you haven't heard John McNeil, you should check him out.

There is a great album from 1979 featuring john McNeil & Tom Harrell on Steppelchase, "Look to the Sky." It is a total blowing session featuring both of them. Check out "Chasin' the bird"

i like his newer albums, real creative music and playing. He has an album coming out in April with his Brooklyn based quartet, with Bill McHenry on sax. They play every Sunday night at the Biscuit BBQ in Park Slope.

I am left-handed, and have always played trumpet right-handed, except for trying to do the Clark Terry two horn thing for fun. :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  3. BlackWhite

BlackWhite Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Personally, I don't think that beng left-handed would need you to get a left-handed trumpet.

Tubists,euphonists and hornists somtimes use instruments that have valves for different hands and sometimes both.

4. DeNalle

DeNalle New Friend

Mar 16, 2008
    I played cornet since about 1960. Had to lay it down due to some surgeries about 5 yrs ago. I am now picking it back up. I am a solid "correct hander" and have used the strength in my left arm, hand and wrist to give me a steady platform so I don't feel I have to blow my brains out to get the solid sound I enjoy. P.s. I picked up the cornet because my teacher in the beginning couldn't teach me "left handed" drumming. Anyway, it will odd for a short while until you get used to that steady horn feel. Then enjoy, I know I have. Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  5. DeNalle

DeNalle New Friend

Mar 16, 2008
    I played cornet since about 1960. Had to lay it down due to some surgeries about 5 yrs ago. I am now picking it back up. I am a solid "correct hander" and have used the strength in my left arm, hand and wrist to give me a steady platform so I don't feel I have to blow my brains out to get the solid sound I enjoy. P.s. I picked up the cornet because my teacher in the beginning couldn't teach me "left handed" drumming. Anyway, it will feel odd for a short while until you get used to that steady horn feel. Then enjoy, I know I have. Good Luck!