"Legal" definition of "gig"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Apr 13, 2009.

1. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I've gathered that it's like a trumpet job or something. But does it have to be a particular style? I've only heard it referred to by jazz artists, when they are talking about going to play in a bar or something. So would, say, playing for a church free on Easter Sunday or a symphonic concert count as a gig?
    HSO

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    My personal definition is, 'a paid playing engagement'. This vernacular seems to have originated in the jazz idiom and spread to other musical forms. In my 'personal' opinion, playing a church worship performance is ill used by calling it a "gig". This has been discussed here in the past and my opinion on this subject raised more than a few disagreements about playing my horns as a form of worship to my Lord.

OLDLOU>>

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    A GIG is a performance short traveled / local. Likely one time deal. Jazz/Rock.
    A GIG is the opposite of a TOUR, which can last as long as 18 months, world wide.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I call 'em all gigs, regardless of genre, venue, etc. I'm not sure what difference it really makes.

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    "Believe it or not" but the term "gig" comes from "giggle". During the teens and 20's when jazz musicians were asked how their previous nights performance went, they would giggle and reply. Over time, "gig" was the word associated to what we now refer to a paid performance.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    According to Wikipedia the definition of "gig" derives from a small carriage commonly used in New Orleans, Louisiana known as a gig, where black musicians could perform, so they would not be arrested for playing on the street.

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Well, that is a twist of two Webster definitions thrown in a blender. I'm not saying it's invalid.

8. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    Where I come from, any one-night or one-performance engagement is a gig. It can be in any venue. It is absolutely jazzer language, but has generalized to the legit players too.
    As in all slang, there is a flexibility about the term, hence the "steady gig" or the "day gig", also from the jazz slang usage. I mean, Craigslist has a whole category for gigs!
    It IS funny to hear operatic sopranos refer to a gig, you know?

9. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    I'm certainly not asking my lawyer what the legal definition is - he charges to much.

It can't be that tough - a "gig" is a musical job you played your instrument at, and hopefully were compensated in some manner for same.

10. Liblip

Liblip New Friend

Mar 29, 2008
    This carriage playing was commonplace back in the day. (As you can imagine the trombones were played facing out the back way!)

Wikipedia is quick-and-dirty, but I spend my Librarian days asking students not to regard it as the most profound authority. For our application it's good enough. :cool: -Ed