"Legal" definition of "gig"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Well, seems I stand corrected. I will review my sources. Thanks.

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

No way, Bear, I wouldn't just pass on the giggle theory.

I've yet to see a post that says musicians were starving and had to use a "gig", a long barbed spear, to catch their food with.;mainly fish and frogs were caught this way. When a musician got a performance deal for a night, he/she would get paid, and therefore would not have to hunt with their gig to eat.

gig: it's in the dictionary. It is also a light weight two wheeled one horse carriage, and the treble hook like the one Batman uses. I know all about Gigs, my hard drive has five hundred of them.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    its play for pay. It can be a regular gig at the local pub, a gig with the symphony on Saturday night, etc.. Gig=play for $

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Markie's right All paid for play music jobs are gigs regardless of how long or short they are. It's paid work. At least tht'a what we have been clling the around here for the last 40 years.

Have you heard the one about the jazz musician who couldn't make the gig?ROFL

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hey Bob,
    What happened to the jazz musician who couldn't make the gig?
    Markie

6. sonarerocks

sonarerocks Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2009
    Omaha NE
    I would consider a gig you have something you have one time. A symphony performance would not be a "gig", a brass quintet performance on christmas eve would be considered a gig