Legally Blond?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by krmanning, Dec 18, 2012.

1. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I've been asked to sub in for a local production of Legally Blond ...the musical in late January and early February. Is anyone here able to tell me what to expect? I am a competent amateur but certainly not professional grade, have played musicals before (West Side Story, Full Monty, Les Mis, Jesus Christ Superstar, Hello Dolly), and have pretty much any horns I might need.

Thanks in advance

CancerDoc...

Harrelson Bravura bflat (1LP,1B)
    Harrelson Bravura C
    Hub van Laar Oiram ack flugel
    Selmer Radial bflat
    Conn Vintage One bflat
    Getzen 800 cornet
    Kanstul 920 picc

...and a drawer full of mouthpieces.

2. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I just did that show about a month ago. I'm not sure if the play is available from multiple sources, but the score we had was pretty difficult.

That said, I am a comeback player and hadn't been back that long. I played the second part, because the first was too high for me (second was pretty high too, but I managed).

Aside from playing the notes, the script has a lot of "nuances" that made it tricky to follow (many breaks, and holds on dialogue, etc...)

The other musicians I played with, who had much more experience, said it was harder than anything they had played except for West Side Story.

Good luck! It's a fun show and a fun score.

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    If you've played West Side Story, then I don't think it is going to be any harder, but be prepared for a lot of work. I personally haven't played Legally Blond, but I asked someone who did, and that's what he said.