Legally Blonde Music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jazzy816, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Hi there!

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong area. I didn't feel like it went in orchestral or big band so I put it here.

So I recently finished a run of Legally Blonde in my local community theater production. We have a very talented cast so needless to say, it was a very good performance overall. I have been involved in numerous pit orchestra settings for lots of different musicals and something about this one has just stuck with me. I love everything about it and really hope to be able to be a part of more productions of this show. We had the original show books for the music and I am KICKING myself for not taking pictures of the music; I want to play it and get good at. My question: is there any way to get either the Trumpet/Flugel 1 book or just get the entire show for Trumpet/Flugel 1 (doesn't HAVE to be the book). I want the music for personal use and will not be distributing it in any way. I have checked on a lot of sheet music sites and only come up with a few of the more popular songs. I am not a school or organization so I don't think MTI would approve me licensing the entire show and its' materials just to get the trumpet book. If there isn't a way to get it, does anyone have the book and or all the music that would be willing to share it with me? As I said, I will be using this solely for personal use and won't be distributing/showcasing/selling/ or doing anything else illegal with it.

Sidenote: My local highschool is looking for a musical for this year. They want it to be fun, possibly comical, have a female lead role, have a "large cast", and to have some fun music. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last question I promise: Mouthpieces that create a good pit-orchestra tone? Just wondering what other seasoned musical players use.

Thanks for everything in advance!

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hello Dolly

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Now this brings back some memories. Let's see if I can summarize without getting too wordy. (As a side note, I have no idea where to get the music. :D)

My Daughter's HS did "Legally Blonde - The Musical" for their spring production a couple of years back, and they had a pit orchestra of sorts - some random HS kids on various instruments (no trumpet) but the real issue was the drummer. The kid who was supposed to do it bailed, so the piano player/music director had her son-in-law play the first weekend's performances. He did...well, to be nice, the guy really didn't read music, and he sounded like he'd listened through the soundtrack a couple of times, but as you well know from your recent experience doing this musical, the music isn't exactly easy, particularly for a drummer - you have to be proficient in multiple styles, it has a ton of odd stops and starts, and unless you get A LOT of rehearsal time, you really do need to know how to read.

The director's son-in-law couldn't do the shows the following weekend because he had a family vacation planned, so they came to me to try to get the drum book down. I got the book - nearly 100 pages - on Sunday afternoon after the matinee performance, and the next rehearsal was the following Wednesday. Now, as a trumpet player, I'm on it when it comes to reading something like that. As a drummer....?

I spent 6-7 hours a night with the music, practicing along to the soundtrack, and got it down ok, however, there were other issues that arose. For starters, the "pit" is a concrete walled, concrete platform above and behind the stage, so thanks to the curtain (not a sheer) we really couldn't see the stage. Next came the attacks about my volume. I was tickling the drums with smalls sticks, but there is a noise floor to drums, and the concrete floor and block walls compounded the problem. (For the performances I picked up a pair of ProMark Lighting Rods stick bundles to cut back on the volume. They suck tone out of everything, but they do help.) Combine this with the fact that the "director" was also the piano player, (and her time was pretty sketchy) so certain entrances and cuts were not actually given, compounded by the range of HS musicianship with rushing, lack of counting, etc, which was further compounded by the fact that none of the music was particularly well-rehearsed anyway, and it made for one of the most frustrating gig experiences of my life. I did what I could to lead from the drum chair, but there was only so much I could do to keep things tight with the situation as it was. Having said all of that, it was better than it was the previous weekend. :D

I never received even a single word of thanks from the drama teacher for bailing them out and busting my butt to put that music together the way I did. The music director/piano player understood and thanked me, and the kids, who by the 3rd and last performance of the weekend started using my setups and cues from the drums, thanked me, but not a single word from the drama coach.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As a side note to the post above, I still have the "Legally Blonde" soundtrack music on my iPod - the tunes really are fun and catchy, and when I'm playing through on shuffle and one of them pops up, I almost always let it play through.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Per your sidenote: Once Upon a Mattress is a fun show, female lead, comedy and doable by high school groups.

6. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Bump, hope I get a few more responses, and thankyou to everyone who has posted something already!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It depends on the horn you are using. I feel its more a function of gap than cup size, as it is the gap that will lead to ultimate projection of the horn's tone, which is what you want for pit-orchestra tone.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I hate to say it... but here is my recommendation:

High School Musical