"legit" and "commercial" sound; what do they mean exactly?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Nov 1, 2010.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I've read these terms a lot and never thought much about them. Earlier I was reading about Curry cups and read, "favors commercial work." I'm really not sure what that means.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The best thing to do is email warburton and ask them. That way you know for sure what it means.

3. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Email warburton to ask what Mark Curry means? :dontknow:

I think the poster is asking a general question of what these terms refer to. The mention Curry is just an example of where he or she read it recently. I too wonder what people mean when they differentiate between legit, lead, commercial and jazz (in terms of trumpet sound). I have assumed that legit is a rich full symphonic sound, lead means someone like Maynard.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    "Legit" and "Commercial" are like common names for houseplants. The Latin is always more specific and exact. The definition of common names can vary from person to person, depending upon their experiences and location. To me, a "legit" sound is very pure and focused, very clean, accurate yet unobtrusive, like most symphonic trumpeters. Commercial, on the other hand, is a "listen to me" sound with a bit more "bite" or "sizzle"... especially in the higher range. Instead of "I will blend with the strings and woodwinds" it is more like "Hey, keep up with me. Hire more players if you need to."
    Another player might express it differently, but that is a simplified expanation of my understanding from listening to numerous players.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Agree with Ed. But I do think it can be confusing. Legit carries the connotation that "this is the REAL way it should be done", whereas Commercial is "whatever goes, just as long as I have your attention". So within specific genres, you can have both depending on your viewpoint. As far as sound goes, when I hear "legit", I think classical. When I hear "commercial", I think screamer. Markies point is a good one. When in doubt, call the maker and find out what they mean. Your question is "legit" (sorry, just couldn't resist)! :-)

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Same here, I never knew what these terms meant .... not easy to sus it out on your own, especially with the word "legit", which I now understand. Thanks guys.!!!

Turtle

7. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    In my experience:

Legit: clean, classical sound. Focus is on blending and precision. Think a world-class symphony musician

Commercial: bright, cutting, but still clean and focused on blending. Commercial in this case is literal -it's the studio sound, and the goal is to play in a way that records well. That means clean, precise, in tune, but with a bit more edge and projection than a classical, section sound. Think pit musicians or the sound you hear on backing tracks and radio jingles

Jazz: warm, mellow, hot, dirty. Good luck with this one, really, as about the only thing that seems to define the "jazz" sound is that it is anything that's unique. Bend, trill, growl, develop a sound all your own, that's the jazz sound

Lead: I think we all know what that sounds like. It's the "take the band and drag them along with you" sound that demands attention and respect. Lot's of projection and edge to the sound -though ideally not so much a laser-beam as a freight train.

Just my personal feel for the labels. A good player can embrace them all, and there's lots of overlap (there are times when a good lead player or jazz musician needs to play pretty and blend, and there are "legit" pieces that demand "dirty" sounds and aggressive playing.

Scatmanblues

8. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Thanks for the descriptions s-man. Very informative

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Scatman, that was so good I printed it out and stuck it on my "music" bulletin board.:thumbsup:

Turtle

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Good summary of the labels - I agree with your take on them.