"legit" and "commercial" sound; what do they mean exactly?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Nov 1, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Listen for trumpets when you watch TV for TV Commercials, TV show themes and that kind of thing. To me, "commercial sound" means more along the lines of rock band horn lines or big band horn lines. Lots of brilliance and bite in the sound with clean, sharp articulations.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The difference is mostly in the style of the player - only secondary for the quantity of overtones.

Style in the orchestra means fitting into the overall "fabric" of the group sound. Commercial means becoming the "excitement" of the event.

This is something where learning by doing is the best medicine. High school musicals are a great introduction to "commercial". High school band or orchestra are the first building blocks for "legit".

Considering the demands on modern trumpet pros, most top players have it all (but still want more).

3. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    In my day:
    Legit means your a classical player.
    Commercial means you play whatever style that gives you a paycheck.
    I dont think it has changed very much.

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Yes, but that doesn't address the question as to what the sound difference is :)

5. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    LOL
    If they cant hear the difference in what STYLE they choose to play I dont think ANYONE can help them.