Leigh McKinney is auctioning the Eclipse Vortex for Karen!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by TrentAustin, Sep 8, 2004.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I first want to thank everyone who has been so kind and generous in the cause to help out my great friend Karen Antonio-Muenzinger. The concert on Friday is going to be a great success and I know that Karen is going to be so happy from all the love and generosity.

I just got back from a chat with Leigh McKinney, my custom horn maker and the man behind the great Eclipse Trumpets. I was shocked by his amazing generosity to Karen, especially given the fact that he has never met her!

He's decided to really help this cause by putting one of his amazing creations, the Eclipse Vortex, on ebay. Every dollar raised on this great horn is going directly to Karen. With an opening bid so low this is your chance to get an AMAZING HORN (by far the most centered horn I've ever played) at an amazing price, and help out a fellow trumpeter who's fighting hard for her life.

For anyone who's interested in seeing pictures of the vortex... there's some at

Stay tuned as I'll post the ebay ad as soon as Leigh completes it. Thank you all again, and please bid often for this great cause. Here's the ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3747309561

THANK YOU LEIGH! www.eclipsetrumpets.com

PS: The concert for Karen is tomorrow night and if you can help in any way with a donation she'd appreciate it. Thanks again to everyone!
    [​IMG]

2. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Trent... is there any chance at all that some recordings could be made of the concert for TM members willing to contribute (buy them)? I know there could be monstrous copyright and performance issues on short notice but just wondering, since it's a charitable situation.

You guys are doing a great thing; I only hope that everyone who is able to can find it in themselves to help someone out. I know that Leigh is certainly going "above and beyond" with his exceptional offer. Hope you posted this auction on every darn trumpet and music forum you can find!

4. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hi Ed,

I know that we most probably will not be able to record the concert. We have a very special guest trumpeter coming to play with our quintet (oh goodness am I in trouble!) and I think because of his recording contract we will not be able to record. This gives people in the area even more reason to go.

If we do record and release it I'll let all my friends here now! We'd have to get permission from everyone and copyrights. You all have been so kind and generous. It really warms my heart.

Leigh's contribution is amazing... I have always been treated like a king by Leigh in all of my business deals with him... this shows yet another side of his amazing heart. He doesn't even know Karen! I can't believe how lucky I am to be playing a horn made by such an amazing man. I'm humbled to play his horns and this really makes me realize how much playing an Eclipse means to me. Now it's an even more special connection.

If you can contribute via donations that is absolutely fantastic. If you cannot please say a prayer for Karen. I can't imagine going through what she is now. She's never asked for anything in her life and I'm so glad we can help her out in this time.

Thank you all and god bless you!

Trent

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Edit: Stupid me... I thought the concert was last night! I gotta get some decent sleep this weekend.

6. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey Gang!

I just hung out with Jens Lindemann, our guest artist for tonight (oops... I let the cat out of the bag)... he's graciously donated his time to play Karen's parts in the quintet. What an amazing gesture of kindness on his part.

I'm truly blessed to know as many people as I do out there with hearts of gold.

I hope to see as many of you there as possible at the concert, and if I don not, happy bidding on the Vortex for Karen. www.innovatabrass.com

I'll give a complete wrap-up of the benefit tomorrow.

MANY thanks again to all of you amazing people!

Best,

Trent Austin

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Wow! Great job on your part to organise this thing, Trent. (Think you can sell Jens on an Eclipse? :lol: ). Please do post a review of the concert.

(Now we know why you might "be in trouble"... haha!)

Jeepers, at the price it's at now and with the exchange rate where it is now, if I didn't already own an Eclipse I'd be putting some bucks down for that puppy myself. Hope you all do well by Karen...I'm sure she'll be in tears with appreciation.

8. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hi Gang!

I just wanted to write a few thoughts on how the night went for everyone to check out!

I honestly thought the night couldn't have better! I was so happy that we had a GREAT turnout at the church. I would conservatively guess that we had around 100 people there. I thank all the TPIN, TH, TM, and rec.music. players that took an interest in helping out my dear friend Karen!

The night started with a beautiful sound clip of Karen playing "la Virgen de Macarena"! She sounded absolutely fantastic on the clip and that was a really great way to start off the evening's festivities.

Next up was the group that I play in with Karen, the Innovata Brass. Members of the group are:

Karen Antonio-Muenzinger and Trent Austin: Trumpet
    Stephen Nadel: Horn
    Peter Charig: Trombone
    Mike Milnarik: Tuba

Because of the her condition Karen did not play tonight. We had a bunch of great players in the Boston area donate their talents for the evening and while we'll talk about them in a few minutes the absolute musical highlight for me was playing next the great trumpeter Jens Lindemann. If you know how Jens plays (www.trumpetsolo.com) you'll realize that he's absolutely world class. It was a total surprise to Karen (Jens and Karen have worked together in the Innovata Brass) that Jens was playing. I kept this a secret so in case she did stumble onto the WWW posts I wouldn't let the cat out of the bag. We were very fortunate to have Jens play, he just happened to be in NYC on the 8th and 9th... he took a train up and stayed with David Ohanian (former Empire/Canadian Brass horn virtuoso... more on him in a few).

On a personal note I want to say that playing with Jens was an absolute treat! He basically sight read all of the Innovata material and was spot on! His amazing technique, passion, musicality, and sense of humor made playing with him so much fun! I thought I'd be a little intimidated by him but he quickly made me at ease in the small rehearsal.

I also took a little moment near the end of our set to thank everyone and tell Karen about the great auction being held on ebay. I want to let Leigh now (as I know he'll be reading this email) that Karen sends you a huge hug and was absolutely shocked and humbled by your amazing gesture!

Next up to play was the Portland Brass, a group made up of members of the Portland, ME symphony. Karen had subbed with them many times and they very graciously donated a wonderful set of music. The members of that group were:

John Schnell and Betty Rines: Trumpet
    John Boden: Horn
    Mark Manduca: Trombone
    Mike Milnarik: Tuba

Their music sounded absolutely glorious in the church and they played with amazing musicality. I especially liked Laura, that featured John Boden on horn (one of the absolutely great horn players in the Northeast). John and Betty's ornamentations on the Baroque music were very creative and musical. One point during the concert John Schnell turned to the audience and said "It might not look like we're having fun, but we sure are!" ... that's probably because our set with Innovata was way over the top (Jens and I were pretty crazy last night)

After the raffles (with all the proceeds going to Karen) we had a Brass Choir play the Dukas "Fanfare from La Peri" and a couple of Gabrielli pieces. The players were the members above from the two quintets as well as the following players who came and played. I cannot thank them enough for donating their amazing talents as well to this concert:

Terry Everson and Joe Foley: Trumpets (BU faculty and virtouso soloists/orchestral players!)

David Ohanian: Horn (Canadian/Empire Brass etc)

Steve Cooley: Bass Trombone (top call with all the major Boston groups)

My wife said that this part of the program was "like getting a big hug from Brass!" I couldn't have said it any better than that. Karen said some thank yous that I'll never forget and showed to everyone there how incredibly brave and strong she is!

I'll post some pics in the next couple of days and again want to thank EVERYONE for helping to make last night one of my personal musical highlights of my life! It truly warmed my heart and soul to feel the love in that church last evening.

God bless you all,

Trent

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Anybody else sitting there hitting the "REFRESH" button as they watch this auction? I sure hope the lucky winner of the auction posts a review on the horn once they receive it. Leigh, is it too late to make that a condition of sale? :D

GO, GO, GO!

10. TrentAustin

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It was sure exciting watching of the end of this auction!

The final tally was $3750. I think Karen is going to be absolutely astonished at the price.

THANK you LEIGH, you just keep amazing me by your huge heart! I'll say it again that you've got a heart of gold and I'm honored to play your instruments...

Thank you everyone who bid on this great (yeah, this horn plays GREAT... I almost bid on it... I already have 2 Eclipse Bb's though!) horn for a super cause!

Take care and MANY millions of thanks to you all!

-Trent