Leon Merian Part 2

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by linktrek, Jul 1, 2013.

1. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    Leon was my trumpet teacher and mentor in when I was 18 years old going to high school. He used to come to my house and I used to open the windows so the neighbors would think that it was me playing the trumpet:D Leon stayed my friend for my whole life. He passed away a few years back. But when I was in high school he used to blast out double G's double D's. And when he hit one of those high notes, I swear, I thought all the windows in the room were going to break open. With all my heart I wanted to play high notes. But Leon used to say..{"Irwin my boy, it's not the high notes.It's the technique." But I didn't listen to him. Now when I am 57 years old now and coming back, I can see that he was right. I don't know if I can find another trumpet player that can play this song like this. Many of them play high notes though.. So I thought I would share this song with you Leon Merian Godfather - YouTube If you enjoy it, kindly hit the "like" button.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I like that a lot, if I have one slight gripe (very very minor and not the right word I'm not being critical of the man at all) I could have taken a little less vibrato on some of the notes but that is because it makes me feel nervous. I've been around amatuer opera enough to hear psuedo sopranos falling way off the note with too much wobble.

I also see some older brass banders who look as though they have some sort of facial palsy when they play and even one that played with a constant nodding of the head. Out of interest (and you must have seen this close hand as a former pupil) how did Mr Merion produce his vibrato?

As I say please don't think I am trying to be clever I really do like this piece and the Satin Doll on your other thread. From what has been said Mr Merion must have been a terrific man and is obviously still a great loss (Wonder what he would have made of your 99 buck horn:dontknow:)

3. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    I really don't remember how he did the vibrato. I don't remember him moving the instrument by the valves so it must have been articulation.

4. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    He had a gorgeous pp. I heard him play Trumpeters Lullaby at about pp all the way through. Brought tears to my eyes. The way he did it would horrify most teachers but it was still gorgeous

5. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    Please disregard this post

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thanks for not taking exception to my comments, there are some that would, I thought very hard about how to word my thoughts because the last thing I wanted to do was criticise your friend.

7. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    There is something in the Bible that says something to the effect that the criticism of a friend is better than the kisses of an enemy. Actually I am impressed by your criticism. A good trumpet critic is a hard thing to find!