Leon Merian

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by linktrek, Jun 30, 2013.

1. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    You made my dayl At least I know that one person here knew Leon. I just posted The Godfather track on a different thread. I think I violated a copywrite thing. But Leon was my friend. And if he were alive and I asked him if I could post this track on this forum for the guys, he would be happy that I did!

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    That's funny - would that be because Jet Tones have a bad rap as being "cheater" pieces?

3. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    No such thing as a cheater piece. If there were, everyone would be cheating and they don't. A shallow cup helps you with your upper register. But it you don't know how to use them then you can't play your lower registers with them.

4. fraserhutch

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Please. that's why the quotes are there, it's a common sentiment here. I'm referring to the perception.

5. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    I was going to say.. If someone is playing excellent range from a cheating mouthpiece, please send me one of those mouthpieces and teach me to cheat:D

6. fraserhutch

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    When I use a "cheater" piece, it's NOT to gain range, it's to get a certain sound primarily, and to help with endurance secondarily. I usually have a better range on middle of the road pieces.
    I'm playing primarily lead these days, and my day to day piece is a Warburton 5M. I actually have a few more notes on the top wit the 5mc, but I don't get the sound I want and I have to work noticeably more.