Leon Merian's Trumpet Isometrics

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by firechikn, Apr 6, 2012.

1. firechikn

firechikn New Friend

May 11, 2010
    mass.
    Hi, does anyone have any idea where I can get a copy of this book? I have tried WWBW and Amazon, as well as e-bay and had no luck.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tom

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I believe that my wife bought her book and Sam Ash music, a little pricey at $24.95.

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Leon’s book is out of print and can be hard to find. One of my students ran into one on ebay for $20.00, she was quite lucky. IMO it’s a must have, Leon really did his homework when he put this book together.
    It will give you monster chops if you follow it. Good luck !

4. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Yeah, I've been looking for it for quite some time with zero luck.

5. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Leon Meriam was a High F lead player. That's all. Not exactly "monster chops" He also subscribed to the "smile" system of playing which has largely been repudiated.

He was still a fine player though. You just have to realize that his logic was flawed. Had found a set of ingredients that worked for him and that was about it.

That said? Isometrics are very helpful. One just need to know the "WHY"S" of the matter. Not merely the "How To's".

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Interesting…..Leon had QUITE the double C when I met him, talked about putting more meat in the mouthpiece, high compression, relaxing in his book also….not sure where your info is coming from…..

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I have to differ with you. Leon did not use a "smile" emboucher. The whole point of the isometric concept was the dynamic tension between the obicularis oris and the buccinators. As a student of Walter Smith, he advocated and used tongue level to to regulate air speed. "Corners firm, chops flat (against teeth), air on!" LM
    I studied and played with him in Florida for a long time. His sound had an incredible intensity and as a lead player he was truly one of the greats.

His book is out of print, but his son is looking for somone to publish a new edition.

8. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Leon said he only totally owned a high B. He did not use a smile system. I have no clue where this information came from. He studied with Walter Smith and Georges Mager and he used air plus tongue level. He had one of the best sounds of the trumpet players in his era and was fronting a big band when he was 80. I have videos of this.

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

I met him in person back in 1972 and observed him stretching his lips prior to the set. So its possible that he changed over the years. But there was no mistaking the traditional "Smile" set-up back then.

A well respected pro considered him only a "High F lead player". Perhaps i should only have mentioned the remarks I witnessed personally.

10. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Leon had a setup he discovered for himself when he was young. He would sneer, place the mouthpiece and then bring the upper lip down "gripping" the piece. Definitly not a smile but it worked for him and worked well enough to impress Walter Smith. I don't know who you talked to. Leon was a great player but had some personality issues and its very possible that the well respected pro was not as well respected as you think and jealous of Leon's sound and facility. In his time he was one of the greats. A first tier player in the New York studios. This is common knowledge, not just my opinion, so maybe you should investigate a little more before spouting second hand opinions from "well respected pros"