Leopold Mozart Concerto For Trumpet

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by bandman, Nov 8, 2005.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Manny,

I was asked to perform the Leopold Mozart Concerto at a program in early December and I would like to know if you know any history on this selection.

The arrangement I have is not very difficult, and is in the Key of Bb Concert (which I doubt is the original key). I have to say that it is a nice arrangement, obviously stolen from a college library, and is listed as a grade V solo (which I find hard to believe). Other than the fact that it lays above the staff for a majority of the piece, it really is not that hard and could be easily performed by a talented high school student.

My main question is the horn selection -- would you play it in C trumpet or on the Bb side of a piccolo. It sounds great on both horns, but the tonality is totally different. I really can't decide which I like better and would like to do it on the more historically accurate instrument.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, look at it this way: there's no way the piccolo trumpet could be considered to be historically in sound or construction of instrument. It is, however, a heckuva lot easier to play. You do sound sacrifice sound quality, though. Our modern ears are accustomed to the sound of the piccolo and we don't regard it as the puny toy it is.

The C trumpet is closer to the sound of a real trumpet although you sacrifice security for the richer sound. So, it's a question of what you like to hear and what your comfort level is regarding security.

Good luck in any case.

ML

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    You are right to assume that Bb concert is not the original key - it was originally written in D major.
    If you are playing it in Bb, I would personally avoid the piccolo - play it on the largest instrument you can perform it on.
    If you were to play it in D major I would definitely suggest the piccolo A - it sits beautifully under the fingers (and it is very possible to create a beautiful sound on a piccolo - it just takes real effort - listen to Maurice Andre or Crispian Steele-Perkins - that is the piccolo sound I try to emulate when I am playing that style of music - according to a few people I get frighteningly close).

If you really want to get an idea of how it "should" sound - listen to one of those natural trumpet exponents - if you can capture the delicacy of the natural sound, then you are doing the right thing.
    Neither the piccolo nor the C are historically accurate, which is more so will depend on how you sound on them.

One of my favourite concertos, but I had never heard it performed in concert Bb. Thinking about it, it would work very well on an Eb, if that is an option.

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I assumed as much about the key. I think they gave it to me in this key because of the part for the piano. Last night I played it on my Piccolo, on my Bb and on my C. My wife said she likes the piccolo sound best and she is twice the musician I am.

I also transposed it up to D and it is much more brilliant in that key, but of course I'll play it in the key it was given to me (I hate to churn the waters when it's an easy gig!).

An Eb huh???? I sold my Eb this year because of lack of use. Of course now I could use it -- isn't that the way it always happens?!?!

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I doubt if this audience really cares about historical accuracy, so I guess I'll go for the piccolo. The room is hige so that "little toy" will probably fill the room pretty well.

One of the things I'm proud of is that I do have a really nice piccolo sound, and I play my Schilke really well in tune. It's a fun instrument to play, and there will be a lot of young people there. Maybe it will cause some questions from the young people! It's always great to pique the curiosity of the audience.

Thanks for the response!

6. gringoloco

gringoloco New Friend

Feb 15, 2005
    Merida, Yucatan
    I have spent a lot of time on natural trumpet and am a big supporter of HIP (historicaly informed performance). Crispien is the man. We all know that. However, I have to recomend you listen to Niklas Eklund. He is one of the best trumpet players I've ever heard...modern or natural. It's really pretty amazing.
    Since sound is the issue here, he's the one to listen to. It's like the human voice.
    Check it out...you won't regret it.

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Thanks for some wonderful information!