Lessons, Braces, and a lot of questions.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Jun 6, 2010.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I was going to start taking lessons again since my schedule is becoming less crowded due to Jazz Band and Wind Ensemble being over. I recently found out, there is a good chance my braces could be off by the end of July :thumbsup:. Now I'm wondering, is there any point to lessons with my braces being removed soon?

Here's a question most posters have probably seen stated in MANY different ways, but what should I expect following the braces being removed?
    My teacher is going to be there to help me out, but should I expect to have my playing deteriorate? Will it recover before band camp, which is in mid-late august, enough for me to play decently? I have to play lead, but I don't need full range until september when we start competiting. I just want to know what to expect, what are the different things that could happen, etc.

any answers, or advice, is appreciated

2. andrewoc15

andrewoc15 New Friend

May 23, 2010
    New Jersey
    You don't necessarily have to wait to get them off for lessons. Once you get them off it might feel weird for a few days. Endurance and range might be a little on the weak side, but after a week or two, they should be back to normal if not better.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lessons is sooooo much more than chops. Starting lessons now means that you will know if you like the teacher BEFORE it gets really serious with your face.

Having a breathing checkup is one of the critical things BEFORE changing anything major, I recommend starting ASAP!

4. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I played most of my first 3 years with braces and took lessons that whole time. When the braces were removed, it was awesome to not have them in the way. I practiced much more, and overall enjoyed playing more than I ever had. I was told to smear beeswax over my braces when I played and that was annoying. I wish I had learned to use hardly any pressure when I had the braces, that would have been better.

The adjustment didn't take long at all.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    I've already had him as a teacher, so getting to know him won't be a problem. My breathing is actually very good, the last time I had a lesson it was mainly finger dexterity, and turning my strong air into range. Even though I might have a bit of a haitus, will the progress I make be there when I recover?

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    the transition is easy. you need to remember that with the braces off the muscles will be very loose. The danger is using to much pressure which will bruse the lips. with my students I have them play soft long tones starting on 2nd line G. you can use the first 8 or so exercises in the Schlossberg book. Don't play all 8 just 2 or 3 in a set. when you see a double bar it means STOP and take the mpc off the lips then continue.
    Choose the ones that are easy to play. Stop playing and rest BEFORE you get tired. 10 minutes or so. repeat several times a day. You can also use the first Clarke Technical Study. Start on #8 and work down then up. Use the same double bar rule. Stay in a comfortable range. NEVER force or strain. PLAY SOFT AND EASY. After a week you should start to feel better. By 2 weeks you can be back to normal. Let us know how it goes.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Well the fact I have a chance of being back to normal in 2 weeks, granted I don't push my chops, is nice to know. I was scared I wouldn't be able to play lead this year.

8. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    You will be just fine. Listen to Mr. Grier; excellent advice there. Only the very best hail from Greensboro, NC...Bob, Lee Petty, and ME! ;-)

I too had braces for about 18 months or so, while playing trumpet in the 6-7 grades. A bit difficult to remember that far back, but I would agree that within a couple of weeks, you should feel very comfortable playing again and will be better than ever. Don't let that [very welcome] transition alter your plans for lessons or anything else.

Best wishes!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  9. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Another good thing about starting lessons before you get the braces off . . . your teacher will know how well you played before the braces came off so you won't have to try to explain/convince him "how well you used to play." That way, he'll also know when you've fully adjusted to playing w/o the braces (which is much better than going the other way).

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC