Lessons For Me!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Apr 13, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have saved and waited until I could afford lessons for a long period of time. My past attempts at lessons were very sporadic and didn't produce much fruit as a result. Next Wednesday I start lessons with Richard Harris. Richard plays with the Charlotte Symphony and should be what I am looking for in a teacher. I have spent lots of time considering what I want in a teacher. A working pro player with lots of experience seems like a good choice. I have a lot left to learn and am excited to finally be taking my biggest step towards education and improvement. :D

2. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Cool, good luck and i hope it pays off. I am also looking seriously at getting a good teacher (first one).

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    taking steps!! -- that's what you do XJB -- keep going one step at a time!!!!

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks! I just wish they were all steps in the right direction. Then I would get to where I want to be a lot sooner.

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Whoot. Go for it!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    UH -- XJB --- look back a few months, or last year, the year before ----- I don't often encourage people to look back, but when you do ---- I am most certain that you have taken many steps in the right direction!!!!!!!! and there is much improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Back in the day (25 or 30 years ago) - you could go for a slow drive on a Sunday here in upstate NY, we used to call that "sunday drivers" -- never in a hurry to get anywhere --- BUT definitely enjoying the drive, and the scenery, and the slow pace at which they knew they would enjoy that DAY, and it would be a lasting, and enjoyable moment!!!!!!!! STEPS XJB, STEPS, and enjoy the moment, enjoy the trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Good for you, Good luck and don't be nervous.

8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks Bob. I hope that I don't get nervous. I have no intention of trying to impress, so the nerves shoudln't be an issue. I am hoping for an honest evaluation followed by a plan that I can work to improve as a musician.

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    My first lesson with my teacher is in the history books.:D I emailed him earlier in the week asking if I should bring any particular materials. He said to just bring something lyrical and something technical that I was comfortable with. He said he use this to gauge where I am at as a player. I dug out the second movement of the Haydn and part of the Hummel trumpet concerto. Today I played the second movement of the Haydn for the first time in over a year. He was pleased with my tone quality and overall understanding of the music. He did say that I needed to do more with the dynamics i.e. play softer in the soft parts. I still hear the echos of when I was accused of playing too loudly during practice by the moderator of this forum. I guess the moderator was right. I am learning to be less hard headed. It is a slow process for me.

We spent most of the rest of the lesson going over what he recommends as a daily warmup/maintenance routine. I took notes on all of it and am putting it to use.

I think the most valuable part of the lesson is where he told me to flutter tongue my scales during the warmup. He says that the flutter will be even throughout the range of the scale if the air flow is even. I worked on that and the complete warmup tonight. I think that I can already tell that is much easier to make a nice big sound after practicing this flutter tonguing. My next lesson is in two weeks. I plan to revisit my lesson notes often while working on the prescribed homework.

I think that I have found a good teacher. It is now up to me to do the work necessary to make improvement happen.

10. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Sounds like you have a great start with your new teacher. If you continue as you have outlined you can go far. Do what he tells you and keep working.