Lessons from professional trumpet players?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrumpeteer, Aug 20, 2010.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    While glancing through an instrument catalog I came acorss a professional trumpet player that was advertised endorsing a particular trumpet and when checking out his web site noticed that he was going to be traveling through my area and offering private lessons. The professional is Roger Ingram. Anyone know anything about him? His web site looks like he has a very impressive background and done a lot with Harry Connick Jr.

Anyway, I currently take lessons from a semi-retired music teacher that is a very good music instructor and take 30 minute lesson once a week. I thought about complementing that with a 2 hour private lesson from Roger Ingram when he is in town, but wondering thoughts on what you focus on or try to work on with a 1 time meeting with a professional trumpet player / instructor?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Roger Ingram is one of, if not the finest lead player alive.
    I know people who have taken lessons with him, and have always come away very happy they did.

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    You should think of these 'lessons' as more of a 'master class'. Obvously, you're not going to study with Mr. Ingrahm steadily, so he's basically going to try to assess your background (how long you've been playing, etc.), spot any obvious big technical problems, probably suggest some exercises for existing problems, then probably just show you a bunch of great sh*t in general. Plus he'll probably answer your questions, so you might want to think about some....

bigtiny

4. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I suppose it depends on the professional and their performing vs. teaching schedule. If you are talking about players that have a heavy touring/gig schedule master classes are more likely or perhaps limited one on one sessions.
    I have had an opportunity to have a few one on one sessions with Bobby Shew. What an amazing experience each time. To be honest the most gratifying lesson I had with him we never got our horns out. We just sat and shot the breeze. Talking about everything from cooking to worse playing experiences, things like that. Best lesson I have ever had from anyone. Of course I got some valuable info from him from a trumpet playing stand point in other lessons but I got more out of my lesson where we just shot the breeze.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You'll be taking a master class. A one shot deal with a really good trumpet player. Take a recorder as you will not be able to remember everything or if he does not allow recordings, take pencil and paper. Then study what he told you when you get home.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    This.

I met with Roger this summer and it was WELL worth it. He encouraged me (via e-mail) to come to the lesson with any questions I wanted to address and he reminded me several times to bring some kind of recorder so I'd be able to remember everything after we were finished.

He's very passionate about teaching and spending less time on the road and more time giving lessons. I think that's fantastic.

In addition to being a monster lead player, he's got great legit chops and he knows a lot about horns, mouthpieces, chops, breathing, etc, etc.

I was primarily focused on slotting issues between high G and double C, but we addressed a bunch of little fundamental things that were contributing to my problems in that register. As a result I have a lot of things to work on that are helping me in all aspects of my playing.

I highly recommend taking a lesson with him to anyone who is remotely interested.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    studying with Ingram will be well worth it. Is your other teacher a trumpet player or a general music teacher?

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Roger is a monster, it would be good for you to get whatever knowledge you can from him. The best way to learn an instrument IMHO is to find the best possible player you can and ask him or her how they do what they do. You will hear a lot of the same stuff from the really great players. Breath. Relax. Hear it first. Etc.

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

BTW - I in no way posted the quoted response as a negative thing. I hope nobody read it that way. Any time you can sit down with an experienced veteran like Mr. Ingram, do it! Even if you just have coffee with him. You'll learn something, I guarantee....

I once went to a concert of the Mario Bauza orchestra and it was outside on a huge elevated stage. I was hanging around backstage and one of the trumpet players was Stanton Davis, a great trumpet player from Boston who now lives in NYC. Anyway, I introduced myself, turns out he's from Cambridge where I live and he invited me to come up on stage and hang behind the trumpet section. Now, this was Marios early 90s NY band. I can't remember all of the trumpet players but there was Stanton, Victor Paz on lead, Jorge 'Chocolate' (Choco-lahh-tay) Armenteros, and a couple of other great players.
    I learned a WHOLE lot just listening to the section and observing that night. And it was fun!

bigtiny

OH - one other thing. IN my original response I said "you won't be studying steadily with Mr. Ingram...." obviously, that's not necessarily true. Often these kind of Master Lessons are one offs, but I have known a lot of people that establish a relationship with a high profile teacher/performer and they end up studying regularly with them. It tends not to be a weekly thing usually because of travel, expense, whatever, but it does happen. I just assumed the original poster, as far as he knows now, was thinking of this as a one off.