Lessons & horn or horn & lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MVF, Oct 19, 2010.

1. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Thanks CBK. What interesting timing. I just had a really good practice- there were notes that actually sounded like a trumpet playing that seemed to be coming from my horn! I have noticed when I'm messing around because my lip is starting to go or just warming up that it can be quite expressive and I've been looking forward to exploring that more once I've gotten my chops back. It's really a shame not to be able to blame the horn anymore, though!

Of course, my Special is pretty rough and I would need something to play while it's being refinished....

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Like everyone I think taking lessons is essential. start now! A teacher experienced with beginners and comeback players will start you back right! I can't stress how important it is to learn good playing habits. They make all the difference in the world in having success on the trumpet. I would wait at least a year before looking at other horns. Your embouchure is so undeveloped at this point that you won't be able to tell much if any difference. Your olds is a great horn for you right now.