lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigpapajosh, Feb 19, 2009.

1. bigpapajosh

bigpapajosh Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    somebody in my town heard me play this evening and they want me to give thier son lessons. they insist on paying. my problem is i dont know how much is fair. i think im giving lessons for an hour. their son is in the eighth grade, i am a senior in high school. i just dont know how much to ask for.
    and believe me ive tried refusing payment. what would be a fair price?

2. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    10 bucks an hour.

I pay 40 an hour which is VERY reasonable. A lot of parents would pay 10 bucks an hour for babysitting. If you're not confident in your skills as a teacher then charge 5. If they really want to pay more, they will offer to pay more.

Or you could just go, teach the lesson and try to walk out without reminding them about the money.

3. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    $10 to $15 would seem about right for your age and experience. You'll learn a lot giving lessons. I've got 4 beginner students right now, and the challenges involved in trying to help them develop their abilities really makes me think about fundamentals myself. Helping them has made me a better player. Enjoy!

4. bigpapajosh

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    ok, thanks that sounds good.

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    To my opinion, 15 bucks is NOT to much!
    What you´ll be teaching is some very
    special skills. Go for 15! :-)

6. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I give lessons for $20 an hour for middle school students. The parents are more than willing to pay that, over the high over prices lessons from music stores. I'd recommend a range between $10 to $30 dollars depending on your teaching abilities.

Enjoy

7. bigpapajosh

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    i have attended teaching seminars, not specifically for music, im also being raised by a teacher, and ive taught alot before. but really, i just enjoy teaching and if i end up with some extra cash, my truck stays on the road another day. 15 dollars an hour is fine, thank you for the input.

on a side note a trombone player in my school is getting lessons this weekend for $200.00 an hour. it is from the preinciple trombone in a major orchestra though.

8. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I'd avertise to the parents how much cheaper you are lol
    so you steal his business

9. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Look, let's be reasonable. You are a senior. You are probably even recieving instruction yourself. You don't sound very confident of your teaching ability. Do you even know how to properly instruct a learning trumpeter? I would point the parents in the direction of another qualified instructor that you trust, and be done with it. If you really want this job and feel you are up to it however, I would charge 8 dollars an hour. DEFINATELY NOT over fifteen. That's just my not-so-humble opinion in this case. Best wishes Papa Josh! I hope you find a solution.

-HSO

P.S. Spirit, I had to highlight that font just to read it. That's what you call hard to read. I admire your creativity but keep in mind that we gotta read that stuff :-)... -HSO

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  10. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    How much would we have to pay you to type in black? Now I have to pay $125 an hour for an opthamologist to fix my eyes.....