Let´s play a game...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Aug 1, 2011.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    ...yes so this is as the title indicates not to be taken so seriously!

I remember that always since I first started to play the trumpet as a little boy I liked to listen to records of trumpet virtuosos playing. Listening and fantasising it was me playing like that. :lol: Listening and thinking and practicing...well, I still do that today sometimes :)

I find myself thinking today listening to a particularly difficult piece that: "If one only could play like that or: "that piece" one could play almost anything handed to you BE IT commercial, classical pieces or Latin, jazz.....

So are there any "pieces" you guys here today and find yourself thinking: "WOW!, if I could play that piece I´d be "home free"

Come on: play the game with me :)

2. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  4. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    very impressive playing! Good video VB!, but it does not show him playing long phrases with a beautiful tone (although I for sure understand that he is VERY capable to do that)

Are they playing or is it playback? No audience and a lot of camera angles suggest a "music Video"

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I suspect it is playback, but not the Stefan Mross kind--Immer himself played on the recording at least--I'm pretty sure of that. A friend in Germany attended an Immer Masterclass and reported that he does play that effortlessly, and I saw a German T.V. production of him playing Großer Herr, o starker König from Bach's Weinachtsoratorium (a staple for players in Germany that allowed me to buy Christmas presents for my kids and wife each year) that didn't appear as staged, but Europeans are really clever at the art of playback.

The shorter answer--I dunno! I do know that it is really, really easy for me to start a phrase on the wrong note and create chaos for a few measures on the natural trumpet, which is why I like playing the Vulgano part in the old trumpet ensemble music--only one note (g below the staff)!

6. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    some times I wish I could play "Mary had a little lamb" or "Hot cross buns" like Maurice Andre...it will never happen ROFL I always get in the way. ;-)

seriously though every thing I have heard in the past has influenced my playing in some way shape or form...what comes out of the horn is purely my fault :oops:

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I want to play Ave Maria ala Chris Botti and hold the last note ( D above the staff ) for 20 seconds.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    hora staccato like maurice andre on that high F trumpet