Let me introduce myself I'm working-Kirk. I've got a horn

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by working-kirk, Mar 24, 2004.

1. working-kirk

working-kirk New Friend

Mar 24, 2004
    Hello, thank you for putting my auction on the front page of your site. The main purpose of the auction is to get other trumpet players to know me. As you may know, when you starting out, one of the hardest things is to get to be known by your peers. I have been on the various trumpet forum but lost touch because I switch internet providers and I no longer get access to the newsgroups.

Anyway let me tell you how I got started as a trumpet player

I became a trumpet player because of Y2k
    I started in 1997-1998. I was a computer geek and decided
    if the world was coming to an end I was going to need a job that didn't
    depend on computers, electric or anything but me.

While I was pondering what field to go into, I found a brand new trumpet at a garage sale for $15.00. I haven't played a
    music instrument before so I gave it a try. I made a "BLATT" I said: "I know that sound, That is the sound a cartoon character makes
    when he does a pratfall. I am going to have to learn how to play this
    thing. If you request me to send you a CD of my playing, I'll send me playing cartoon music.

Once I started playing, I started to have adventures.
    Getting into fights because people would tell me to shut up
    Meeting Wynton Marsalis and asking if he could teach me how to pick up girlswith my horn,
    running arounnd town as the only trumpet playing chicken,
    Going into a coma and instead of talking, playing my horn
    and trying to pick up the nurses.

Anyway, I learned the trumpet enough to get gigs and
    decided I might as well aim BIG. First thing was choose a cool jazz or trumpet nickname. Working-kirk was available.

I plan to be a star in two years. Music is changing as is does
    every 20 or so years. Those who can predict and play the
    new trend music get to be the next generation superstars. I don't know what exactly the music will be but I can make some predictions.

The next generation of music buyers are
    what I call "The Children of Barney."
    (You know the guy in the purple dinosaur suit) I can't see
    the children of Barney liking punk or rap since it is too angry. Since
    fashion and ecomonics follow a pattern, I am thinking the next generation music will be the music similiar to the music of the depression/world war II. Happy uplifting music.

The next generation will be computer savy hence they will
    know about Ebay and MP3 and more while the older musician are still scratching their head trying to figure out all this computer stuff. I plan to be in that area since I know computers.

At this point a lot of people are starting to hear about
    working-kirk. You see, the hardest part of becoming a working musician is getting others to know you. You have to build word of mouth. At least my auction will get other
    trumpet players to say: Who is this "Working-Kirk" I keep
    hearing his name and some strange things he he doing with his horn. (For instance, I am trying to bring back some of the thing done in Vauderville like juggling with my horn and playing two horns at once.)

People will start wondering if I can play or not. At
    least they will keep an eye on me. Which is all I wanted from the Ebay auction. And if I get on the Tonight show because I tell people I need a gig so much the better.

If not, I do have a definite plan for getting on the talk show circuit and eventually the cover of Rolling Stone. So all you trumpet player keep annn eye out on me.

Thank you for your interest.

2. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Does your plan have anything to do with playing the trumpet well?

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    no 8)

4. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    Let me introduce myself I'm working-Kirk. I've got a horn

Say what?...!!!!! :?

Butch

5. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
  6. working-kirk

working-kirk New Friend

Mar 24, 2004
    Okay, this was how I meet Wynton. I live in Portland and as you know the Monette factory is located here. About two years ago, they decided to have have a trumpet convention. So I tell my teacher and immediately he gave me a bunch of things not to do
    1. Don't whip out your horn like you like to do thinking you can play!
    So in answer to the question Does my plan include playing good. Good playing and comedy do not necessarily go together.

He gave me a bunch of don't and one do:

I want you to take your Clarke and practice execises 1 - 40. Nothing else . Now this is a guy you don't say no too, so I dutifully practice the Clarke exercises. The moment I get to the conference I know they ain't by a three year student playing the Clarke badly. So I thought what did I want to learn from all these master trumpet players?

Two things: One was how can I learn to play like a hick white boy?
    Two How can I pick up girls with my horn?

Obviously Wynton couldn't answer the first

So he makes a big entrance and the best of the best trumpet players in the get to jamm on stage with wynton. I am proud to say my teacher was one of those chosen. They Wynton speaks to the audience:

You here to learn about the trumpet. If you have any questions about the trumpet I can answer them for you. What is the one the one thing you wanted to learn about your trumpet?"

I jump up and ask: "How can I pick up girls with my horn?"

The room bursted into laugher. Since I had probably asked everybody else there that question, why not ask Wynton?. Everybody laughed Except my teacher, he was behind Wynton and probably would have died from embarrassment. The only thing that kept him alive was no one really knew I was his student. Who me, I don't know working-kirk. What makes you think I know him.

Anyway Wynton paused. It seem he wasn't never asked this question. He repeated the question a couple of times then took a close look at me. He shook his head and covered his eyes.

Now I have to describe what I was wearing. I was wearing a blue neon sequin bowtie and a propellor beanie and a couple of other things. I dressed the way what I was. A nerd or computer geek. A girl I did tried to pick up there, blew me off with: "What did you do? Rob a dead clown?

So Wynton looked at me. looked at how I was dress, shook his head and said: "Brother you've got to get rid that tie, and get rid of that hat before you get any idea of picking up girls.

That got a bigger laugh. I didn't mind Wyton getting the bigger laugh. As the star he is supposed to. And while I know any single one could outplay me, I got a feeling they will remember me.

Working-Kirk, Yeah I know him. He got dissed by Wynton about the way he dress when he asked about picking up girls.

As you can see in the auction, my dress has not improved.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    All I can say is that your methods and tactics probably won't get you a gig, but you will certainly get noticed and remembered.

8. NickD

NickD Forte User

Mixed emotions...

Kirk,

Man I am utterly baffled about this. I'm not sure exactly what to say.

First, I applaud your audacity. Man, you've got sauce, dude, doing a self-promotion like that on Ebay. I would have NEVER thought of that and the publicity you are getting must be terrific. Now, I am not being remotely sarcastic here! This was one clever stunt, and I honestly wish I'd thought of it myself!

Now, to the mixed emotions part. You talk of playing only five years and having a defininte number of ten years to achieve mastery of the horn. On this matter I take some exception. I have no doubt that there are some folks out there who can master something like trumpet playing in as few as five to ten years, but, I suspect they are in the minority. I would never want to discourage you, but, for my part, I've been playing for 38 years and I feel like I am JUST NOW getting to the point where I can honestly say that I can play anything I want to, ALMOST.

Next, you want to be a star in 2 years. A star of WHAT? I don't mean to be mean-spirited, but I don't understand your goals. Do you want to achieve stardom like a Wynton Marsailis or a Wayne Bergeron or Roger Ingram or Bobby Shew or Roy Hargove? None of those guys did it in two years. Do you want to compose? Play jazz? Play classically? What sort of study do you plan?

Now, I am a mere school teacher (day gig) who plays classical/jazz trumpet (night career). I have to get to class in a minute, so I plan on continuing this commentary. Sorry for the break in the action.

Kirk, I am tryiing to be honest, kind and open, so PLEASE take no offense at any remarks I am making here. You've sure got my attention, man!

I'll get back to you in about an hour.

Peace.

Nick Drozdoff

9. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Re: Mixed emotions...

Nothing "mere" about that. You have one of the most important jobs in the world.

Working Kirk! YOU DA MAN!

10. NickD

NickD Forte User

Chapter two of my windy diatribe!

I just like saying diatribe! Now I'd better look it up.

Kirk, I guess what concerns me is the notion of what your goals are. It seems to me it is possible to achieve big in performance art with a minimum study of the music and the skills behind making it. I would argue that the likes of Justin Timberlake or Brittany Spears fall into that catagory. They can sorta sing sorta dance and they look good, so with a huge entourage of extremely talented producers behind them, they produce popular performance art. I would not consider any of their ilk MUSICIANS (Britttany Spears= musician???? hmmmm, not really. Qunicy Jone = musician???? Most definitely!).

Kirk, if your goal is to be a trumpet star in two years, ala Marsailis or Shew, good luck, 'cause you're going to need it! :-) It takes years of hard work and erudtion and experience for guys like that to achieve, and timing is a big deal. Wynton achived young which gave him "wunderkind" status. Shew is now an "elder stateman" and a recognized virtuoso, but his highest level mastery (I think, this is an educated guess) perhaps came a little later for him. Let's not forget that in the USA, vanity and youth have a huge impact on the opinions of the music consuming public. They are more intrigued by some young hot shot as opposed to "discovering" a guy in his 50's (uh, that would be me...).

Now, Kirk, if you want to just be a STAR and are not all that concerned about achieving the higest level of mastery of the instrument, well then, I think it can be done. In fact, I think it is possible to nurse both goals simultaneously with the recognition that they are indeed separate.

Kirk, I would suggest that you study music and trumpet like crazy. Have fun and learn, learn learn. I'd continue your wild marketing techniques as well. You can even learn a lot of stuff ONLINE! Find out about guys like Clyde Hunt or Chase Sanborn or Mark Van Cleave or Clint "Pops" McLaughlin, to name only a few. Check around your area (Portland) and I'm sure you'll find some great teachers. Heck, I'm sure you'll find many amazing teachers ON THIS FORUM! There are some heavies here and you can learn a great deal.

Kirk, I am rambling here. My best to you in your efforts. Personally, I would put the art of trumpet music at the top of your priority list, but that's just me.

Peace, man.

Nick Drozdoff