Let us play, " Point Out the Problems ".

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Tc, Mar 9, 2014.

1. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    Do this. Plus you've got your lips pinned in the mouthpiece. Too much tension there. And your mouth cavity is small and constricted. Open up that resonating chamber. Without the trumpet, breath in and blow some air out. Now put the horn in the way and blow relaxed. Carry on soldier.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Not sure if you have access to a teacher or pro in the area, but has anyone ever commented on your bottom lip?

Hard to tell from the video, but it almost looks like your sucking it in and then kind of shoving everything into the mouthpiece.

I know you said you have "big lips" but I know lots of guys who also have them and they use more traditional setups.

Might be worth a look.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I don't know if your audio equipment is very accurate or not, but I can match that sound by removing the mouthpiece and putting my lips on the receiver. I'm guessing you are trying to play with your lips too far apart. Air is an issue as well. Please post with an actual, written out tune.

Have fun!

4. Trumpet Tc

Trumpet Tc Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    I will post another video tonight of a written out tune.

Thanks!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your biggest problem is lack of respect for yourself and us.

You crap on our desk and we should tell you what you had for dinner. I listened to about 3 seconds before turning it off. I would send a student home if they came to a lesson as poorly prepared as you were for this recording. I can also say, the next link will not be any better as your whole approach has no structure that would lead to something to work with that has a chance of getting better.

You need some one on one lessons from someone who does not tolerate crap. Forget the web, you are only documenting something that is not advantageous.

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi trumpet tc,
    Oy, I don't know where to start. I was expecting a......well....something a little more organized. Somewhere over the rainbow, an etude, Bach, something from Arban, a solo on the song Happy ect..
    Was it good? no. Why? Watch your demeanor. You didn't take your performance seriously and as a result, it came across as not very good. Watch some youtubes of famous trumpet players and watch their faces and body language. You will see artists deep in thought and working hard. However, everyone has made mistakes. Mistakes give us the opportunity to learn and look at the bright side, at least you didn't post this train wreck naked!!
    My advice:
    1.Find a teacher that creates superior players.
    2.Print out and study the post Circle of Breath
    3.Print out and study the post The Basics Sheet
    4.Print out and study the post Vulgano Bros. Ray of Power
    Will these four simple things make you a better trumpet player? I promise if you study the heck out of them and do your best to apply the knowledge found in those three documents, you will make your future trumpet teacher very very happy and your skills will increase greater than you can presently imagine. Just remember, always take trumpet playing seriously. For many of us (me included), it's not a game or a joke or something to be done half way. When you do this, it makes you look bad (which is unfair to you) and it makes some of us unhappy(which isn't cool). But enough is enough, let's do a "do over" and let's get to work:
    Study the documents and feel free to ask questions about the documents as you learn about them. There are many highly skilled and knowledged people on this site that are happy to help as best they can.
    This probably isn't what you want to hear but I hope it helps.
    Dr.Mark

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  7. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    TC, I've got exactly the same range's problem, G can sound, Ab can be OK... Above these notes, I can play them but only when I'm not playing for real ! I think you know what I mean...
    And yes I agree with you, Schilke is a very comfortable brand, I use the Schilke 16 and it's nice.
    Thanks for posting and sharing.