Let's talk about rotaries ... not Maznas .. trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 25, 2013.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    very nice!!! I love how the trumpet cuts through the orchestra .. pretty intense

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Peter Baumann, in Aschau i Chiemgau, a little distance from Munich, makes some wonderful rotaries.

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I had a quick blow on this rotary (thanks again Stuart) - first time I've played such a beast. There were two characteristics that I remember clearly 1: it felt very open to blow - I was surprised to find out that it had such a small bore, 2: pedal notes were "just there" - effortless, like a flugal and pretty close to in tune. Not sure if these things are related to the constant uninterrupted bore that rotary valves are supposed to provide.

tj

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When I was in Germany our Blechbläserquintett got some free tickets that allowed us to visit the Frankfurter Musikmesse a day before the general public were let in. The instruments that wanted me were the Monke, Yamaha and B&S. Was able to pick up a B&S intermediate model cheaply later on, when they sold off all their stock from the East German days. Can't remember if that was pre-Euro or not, but dirt cheap. I had it converted to C and had an interchangeable leadpipe conversion done as well. After my daughter dropped the horn at an outdoor performance (I had asked her to hold it but not by the mouthpiece there was an "oops!" moment, and I pieced it together with first-aid tape and splints [my Swiss Army knife paid for itself that day!]) I had the outer leadpipe sleeve converted to a tuning sleeve, like on a flügelhorn. I found that by pulling the leadpipe out around 3/8ths of an inch it sounded just like a Ganter.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Have any of you ever played one of the Bach Strad rotaries? I've always wondered how they stack up to the competition. I don't even know if they're made any more, though.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was wondering the same thing Dale. I saw one for sale in my search for prices.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I found those as well... but everything was written in German.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I had a Bach rotary C - silver plated - for some time. Wonderful rich tone, perfectly in tune; but you needed an air compressor or extra oxigen to play it. Very demanding as regards airflow. Unfortunately, that horn was stolen from me in a burglary in Ireland. They aren't in production any more, and I would like to have one again. So if anyone sees one for sale - get back to me asap!!

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I can't seem to find the link ... unless it was the one I saw already sold on eBay ... but I will keep my eyes posted. Hope this search has better success than that Hernel that just vanished off the face of the planet.