Let's talk about rotaries ... not Maznas .. trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Bach C rotaries are beasts to play, and to me lacked the change in color found in the traditional rotaries--dark up to mf but "brassier" at f and above. The Bach sounded the same at all dynamics.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A typo: "Maznas" meaning the Mazda vehicle rotary engine (Are they still produced???)

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    deleted

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Not sure if they are using the Wankel in any of their current models or not. Think the last Wankel's were in the RX-7's.:dontknow:

When they first introduced them in the early 70's, I test drove the RX-2 and RX-3 sedans. Thought they were sorta unique, but not earth shaking. You had to be very careful not to over heat them as the "sandwhich" would develope leaks leading to engine failures,IIRC

We currently have a Mazda 5 wagon and it has a conventional I-4 engine in it( 2.5L)

......Buck:roll::oops::cool:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  5. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I bought a Boehm and Meinl Bb from Antique Sound Workshop in Boston about 20 years ago (Made in West Germany!). I bought it in Gold brass with the Heckel Garland. It is a medium bore with a large bell. It plays very well, water collects in odd places because of holding it sideways. i don't use it much, Brahm's Requiem, mostly. I bring it to school to show my middle school kids what trumpets are like in Europe. I also have a Schertzer Piccolo with a Sterling bell and leadpipe which has a beautiful sound, but not as versatile as my Schilke P5-4. I'm sure Dale and I could digress and talk about our Civil War rotaries......

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Or pre Civil War:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Circa 1870...:-)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I thought my spelling looked a bit off ...thanks for that ... hhhuuuuuummmmm

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I think I need to be careful reading these post from my phone ... I just got up and was drinking my first cup of coffee, eyes not working clearly yet and thought you wrote dark as a mf in the lower register and brassier as all f above .... yikes

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Oh dear!