Let's talk about rotaries ... not Maznas .. trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 25, 2013.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I think it comes from working in warehousing .... I need to get out more

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Last one in production with a Wankel engine was the RX-8, with forward facing rear doors.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have been looking around to see if I can find one I could afford and as well get an authentic sound. There seem to be a few that have no markings .. seller's hint that some reputable German manufacturers during WWII did not put markings on their instruments ... I am guessing that those are much more rare than the horns purported to "possibly" be one.
    I quite a few Cervany's, Shusters, Lidl's, and Schillers. They seem to range between 150 and 600.
    If an instrument is over 60 years old and "hole keys" (?) does that increase the odds of them being any good?
    thoughts anyone?

4. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    With instruments that old, chances are that they have enclosed valve springs and that you can't really check the state of the valve springs (which at that time were of plain steel and prone to rust). A common complaint with these instruments is that the valve springs break without warning, and then you are let in for a rather expensive repair, whereas with open valve springs (which tend to come later) you can check the state they're in and replace them yourself if necessary.
    The high range key holes are a nice extra, but not really necessary. Usually they were only fitted to top-quality horns for pro players, so they are quite a good indicator of the quality the horn was intended to have at the beginning.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Thank you Sir,
    The double edge sword.
    Should I assume the other low cost brands are transitional horns?

6. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Depends on what you mean by "transitional horns". Lidl or Schiller horns never were intended to go pro. They were medium-quality, mass produced horns for oompah bands and military bands. So even at their best, they would not have touched the roof.
    Czerweny made a few top-class horns and is continuing to do so, and their current medium-range models are quite good.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There were also a bunch of customers from the German Posaunenchor movement. The Germans were smart enough not to be enamored by old cheap brands like we with our Ambassador and Director cults.

8. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    IMPORTANT

A very good Wilhelm Monke Bb rotary just came onto German e-bay. So far, the bidding is reasonable. I know the seller, and I'm sure that the hooter would be worth while looking at. It's got enclosed valve springs, but with a well-cared-for Monke, that's no problem. Here's the link:
    Monke Trompete / trumpet inkl. Case - Made in Germany - TopAngebot | eBay
    Good luck, everyone!

And here's one more, from Austrian e-bay: An oldish Bb rotary with an A switch valve. Possibly more of a collector's item:
    http://www.ebay.at/itm/altere-Tromp...955122?pt=Blasinstrumente&hash=item35c5fcf172

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  9. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    And one more: Jupiter are making rotaries as well: JP 806!!

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Five days left--I bet it will zoom on day 5.