Lets talk about SOUND!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, May 19, 2009.

1. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Lets talk about SOUND! For many years I asked myself if there was a single perfect trumpet sound and if so what would it sound like? The first thing we hear when we hear someone play is their sound. We know in seconds whether we like it or not. It either pulls us in or pushes us away. But if we like it, what do we like about it? If you name ten great players, lets do it: Hubbard, Andre, James, Sandoval, Davis, Morrison, McNab, Morgan, Brown, Ferguson. What do their sounds have in common? They all have an identifiable/recognizable trumpet sound and each one is considered a good if not great sound. The unique quality about each players sound is the tone color. What their sounds all have in common is “core”. What is core? Core is a balance of overtones in a musical sound, lows, mids and highs. Core is also produced by playing in the center of the note. When you add these two things together you have a sound with a lot of core. Think about the sound Miles got. He had so much core in his sound he only had to play one note to get an audience response. So many of the trumpet sounds I hear on youtube especially with the whole high note “thing” I feel are distorted or contain “noise”. The sound I’m referring to is the one that can “peel paint”. This kind of sound is designed to hurt someone. Believe me when I say you will not have a long and prosperous trumpet career with this type of sound. We all eventually get the sound we hear in our heads, regardless of equipment. The only way to really hear what kind of a sound you are getting is to record yourself. What you hear is many times shocking. I believe your sound is the hardest and most challenging aspect of your playing to develop. In the words of Miles Davis, “It takes a long time to sound like yourself”.
    Wayne Naus
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    "THE" sound occurs when our playing floats on the airstream. Before that, we need too much muscle tension to play - and that damps the lips ability to freely vibrate. That kills the vibrance and resonance.

That killer airstream is big and strong enough so that the octave that we are playing in doesn't matter.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    My idea of the correct sound has changed a lot over the years. Now I've come to the conclusion that there is no correct sound.

4. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    I completely agree, but there is such a thing as a wrong sound :lol:.
    Seriously :dontknow:, ugh it can get nasty.

5. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Thank you B15M!!! That is exactly what i think as well.
    Sungman, I agree with you too!!

6. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    its whatever you prefer

7. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    IMO, I'm trying to emulate sounds that inspire me. When I'm playing classical,
    it's Phil Smith- lead, Bergeron- solo jazz, Clifford Brown.
    I haven't figured it out yet but I'm working on it. Eventually, I'll sound like
    me no matter what I play! :D
    Have fun,
    -Andrew

8. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Good stuff Andrew! Remember the learning process goes like this.
    DISCOVER-IMITATE-CREATE
    WN
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

9. oldtrumpetdude

oldtrumpetdude New Friend

May 22, 2009
    Conrad Gozzo: If you want a sound to emulate!

I am new to this forum, but I have been a trumpet player for more than 38 years.
    There are very few teachers these days, teaching a horn player HOW to have a good sound.
    It about air:

try this simple thing:

take a deep breath,,,only through your nose,,,think,,,fill from WAY below your waist,,,all the way to the top of your head.
    The put the horn to your mouth and play a middle C,,,,,blowing from WAY below the waist to the top of your head.......play

Try it playing as loud as you can play ,,, do the same thing and play as soft as you can play,,,using the same air flow.

:play:

10. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    A great trumpet sound in my opinion sounds equally good in all registers; both low and high. Years ago, some people thought Maynard could only scream high notes. Most non-Maynard fans assumed that if and WHEN Maynard did play below low C it probably didn't sound too good.
    Boy were they mistaken! Maynard's low notes were phenomenal, just as Sandoval, Doc, Hubbard and the rest of the great jazz players. Listen to Maynard's low notes on Antony and Cleopatra, and the way he plays so strong in the double-b and C on the end. Amazing strength and sound at all levels.

A good sound doesn't compromise any of the register. It just sounds good, whether low or high.