Lets talk about SOUND!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, May 19, 2009.

1. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Conrad Gozzo. Holy Cow. Now I know you're an old dude. My trumpet instructor used to talk about his sound. Oh, and my teacher used to have me do that same exercise you mentioned below.

He was a Claude Gordon student and a navy guy. Very much into breathing and power.

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    To concentrate on sound is to not follow a chart. Play whatever the spirit moves you to play, listen to your own music, and the quality you can make of it. Notice no stress, no binding clench, no pressure, no metronome, no count, no "hit the right note". no measure, no crescendo, no key, no nothing.............listen to what YOU play....an uncharted music......freedom. .Now hold that emotion, and turn on the light, turn on the metronome a and put that sound into the chart you're working on...this time, keep that sound you had earlier!!!!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe the correct sound cannot be descibed in shades of color, rather in its sheer magnificence and brilliance.

I think there is a "correct sound". It is the opposite of WIMPY!

4. oldtrumpetdude

oldtrumpetdude New Friend

May 22, 2009
    A good trumpet player can SOUND like how ever he wants.
    I have played in the Symphony with my Schilke B1 and my 10A4a.
    I have played in MANY bands, all different styles. I was very proud I learned to "sound" like I needed to for all the types of music.

But it makes no difference if one does not have a good base sound.

Breathing IS the key for a good base sound. Proper Air pressure = Proper Sound

Claude Gorden was a very good teacher when it came to breathing and endurance.

I took lessons from many people and learned something new from them all.

Most importantly, what was good for me and what was NOT good for me.

Another very GOOD thing to remember when taking lessons.

I knew many good players that all said,,,,,sound like yourself! Listen to everyone you can and if you like what you hear,,,add to your bag, if not toss in the trash.

:play::play::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  5. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Good stuff!! I think the key word here is "base sound". I would say this is the sound you get due to your physical makeup ie. body cavity, teeth,tongue length, jaw, head size etc. These are things you don't have any control over and can't change. All I'm saying is that no matter how many different horns and mouthpieces I play, my base sound eventually wins out.
    Wayne Naus
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    This is one of the good, analytical points, Wayne!

I once played in a big band with my friend playing lead.
    He could play the high notes, and everybody admired him,
    but he actually had both leaky air as well as undefinable
    noise in his tone. Saying this out loud wouldn´t have
    made my friendship with him deepen, so I never said anything.

Listened to your web site recordings, by the way; GREAT PLAYING!

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I agree that there is a correct sound but it isn't universal. Miles, to a lot of people had a wimpy sound. Ingrid Jensen to some, almost sounds like she's playing flugel when she's playing a trumpet, Bergeron to some has a sterile perfect studio sound, and to some, Arturo can't play unless he's tearing off the bell of his horn with balls out volume and high notes.
    As for me, They are ALL perfect in their sound and all I can say is that each have their individual folders in my Ipod(a lofty position for sure).
    The most perfect sound is the one that's perfect for you. Now of course I'm not talking about some cheese eating 8th grader who is still trying to figure out how to play the chromatic scale, I'm talking about the person who has developed confidence in the basics and developed their own voice.

8. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks for listening!
    WN

9. Fatso DiMARTINo

Fatso DiMARTINo Pianissimo User

Jun 6, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    I may be a little late here; just joined today. But this is a subject I've given much thought and re-evaluation to for many years. I've been playing since 1963 and had spent many years trying to achieve the tone qualities of my influences from Bix, Bunny, Louie and Harry James to Fats, Clifford, Dizzy, Lee and Hub. As is pointed out throughout this thread, no matter what equipment we use, we're all going to sound like ourselves. No matter what horns the greats played, they could never sound like anything but themselves. They were blessed with tones that went beyond conventional trumpet tone--they had a voice that touched people, something that's pretty magical when you consider a trumpet is nothing more than a mechanical heap of plumbing pipes and plungers!

I guess an individual's tone has a lot to do with mouth cavity size, teeth structure, throat opening, embouchure, and size and density of lip flesh. And yes, aural concept of ideal tone comes into play.

Well, anyway, it was only 10 years ago or so that I began to accept MY tone. It's a very challenging time when you finally realize you're never gonna sound like this player or that one. But what I've done is to go with my tone and try to develop and tweek whatever it is that makes it my tone. And yes, recording yourself and listening is key to developing your tone. Blue Note recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder has in interviews said that trumpeters in particular would listen to playbacks and comment on how different they sounded from what they thought they sounded like. Of course that's because we are behind the bell and a great distance from where the sound and its harmonics develop in a given room.

Even going back 30 years, maybe I should have listened to the people who would tell me: as they were approaching the club, they knew from blocks away that it was me playing. And if anybody ever tells you, "You sound like you speak" I think you've got the gift of your sound. Now just accept it and express your most honest music with it!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  10. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Well spoken! Many thanks for those very important and thoughtful words. Your reply made this thread worth the effort. I can't imagine there is anything more that needs to be said on the subject.
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World