Level of Improv skill

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Double_G, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    What level should a junior in high school's improv skill be on. I personally think I'm decent, but I could use some ideas if nobody is using them :-P . Anyway, give me a general summary of how well a junior who has been improv-ing for three years should be doing.

Does that makes since? :oops:

2. MrLT

MrLT Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    Manchester UK
    .....or how long is a piece of string? how do you even judge your own standard? is there any objective way? i think not. Improvisation is one of those things that just keeps developing and changing direction as you expose yourself to new experiences, thats what I love about it. By junior high I assume you must be in your early to mid teens? (ignorant limey talking here) so you have a long way to go. how fast and how far depends on how much listening you do, how much undersanding you have and how much of yourself you are willing to express in your music. So where are you now? can you negotiate a standard or ballad made mostly of 2-5s, a blues? coltrane changes? a modal piece (more difficult than you think). Maybe a good way to gauge your progress is to play in public say at a jam session - do the audience take notice of your playing? clap at the end of the solo? do the other musos say they really liked your playing (a valuable compliment)?

Keep listening, keep blowing and make it work.