Lew Soloff

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Aug 22, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I am almost out the door on my way to the Manhattan Brass Quintet concert.

Lew's masterclass was brilliant this afternoon. He talked of his long career in music and the changes he has gone through, on the horn and in the business. He had his usual array of horns and mouthpieces. Lew talked of how he arrived at the equipment he was using,and he showed us how,with only two horns and a variety of different mpcs. he could change colors of sounds.
    You should have been there :cry:
    Wilmer

2. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Wilmer, does Lew give master classses often?

3. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    I'm really pretty pissed I couldn't make it.

:x

Glad to hear you enjoyed it though!

:)

4. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I don't know. Lew left for Italy this morning. He is one busy dude :cool:
    Wilmer

5. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Lew talked at the masterclass about the demands of quintet playing vs other venues of performance. Lew surprised me by playing the bulk of the concert on C trumpet. Guys,he sounded great. Lew also mentioned the wide range of dynamics required in quintet work.
    This is a very, very fine ensemble.
    Wayne du Maine, Lew Soloff-Trumpets....Wayne and Lew played their tushs off :cool:
    Ann Ellsworth- Horn......solid all night
    Michael Seltzer-Tenor Trombone....what a gorgeous sound
    Dave Taylor-The Paganini of the Bass Trombone

The Manhattan Quintet played with precision and fire. It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening.....and Lew absolutely nailed a few high ones in the Paquito D"Rivera piece :D

6. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Lew was great at the class. I had a gig, so I could not make the show. Wayne is an amazing trumpet player too. I had the pleasure of playing with him once. Four trumpets, he was first i was third. We were all sitting around warming up. He played a low G, I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

7. cooljazz

cooljazz New Friend

Jul 3, 2004
    HI,

Can you tell if he still play the Monette B4S deigned for him or back to a 3C MV or something else, thx.

(just to be curious)

stef

8. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Lew does not play a monette MP, and according to what he said at the class, he never really did, Dave Monette copied his MP for that model. One of the things he talked about was switching mouthpieces, not in terms of high notes and middle register, but in terms of controlling color.