LF1 Flugelhorn questions

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rank_amateur, Jan 12, 2004.

1. rank_amateur

rank_amateur New Friend

Jan 11, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I currently have a Kanstul flugelhorn that in truth I have no reason to be dissatisfied with, but...

After playing a Lawler trumpet for a few months, I've gotten spoiled and am considering getting an LF1. A couple of questions for Roy or Bruce or anyone who already owns one:

1) The Kanstul I now play takes mps with the "Bach" taper. Which taper ("french", "american/yamaha/straight", or "bach") does the receiver on the LF1 take? Sure if one is considering springing for a $1700 flugel, adding another $150 or so to replace a couple of mps isn't that much. But still it would be nice not to have to purchase new ones.

2) I note the bore on the LF1 is .438. My current one is .415. I've heard that larger (>.420 or so) bore flugels have more of a tendency to sound like big trumpets than flugels. Is this true of the LF1?

Thanks,

2. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Brent,

Roy will make the flugel receiver to meet your needs. I played the Kanstul F Besson Brevette for years. It had a French taper. However,
    I had Roy make the flugel with an American taper on his recommendation. He would have made the French taper if I had insisted.

As far as tonal qualities, the LF 1 is the best I've ever played. Very smooth dark tone. I think it has a Mangione type sound. Good luck on your decision.

3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Brent,

What Dan mentioned about the mouthpiece and receiver is true. It would be best if you sent your mouthpiece to Roy, should you decide to order an LF-1, so that it could be custom fit to the receiver.

As to the bore-size question... please hold that thought... Roy is in the process of re-working the design, from that perspective. We will keep everyone posted, as soon as all of that has been worked out. *Note... the changes will not be huge. :wink:

Best always,
    Bruce

4. Mikester

Mikester New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    MI
    TL Flugel is coming !

I see Roy has decided to go ahead with the TL FLugel. His webpage should be updated in Feb. 2004.

Stay tuned...

5. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The Lawler TL Flugel will feature a Getzen valve section! Looks like an end of March release. Details to follow! :D

Best always,
    Bruce

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It would probably make more sense to simply get a new receiver rather than to change mouthpieces - if the receiver used a taper that wouldn't work with your mouthpieces, getting a different receiver with the correct taper would probably be a pretty easy change.

Edit: Oops - I didn't realize when I posted to this that it was a thread over two years old! I was doing a search on Kanstul flugelhorn receivers on google and got linked to this thread.