lifting and trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Manny,

You told me at your masterclass that you think lifting weights is detrimental to a trumpet players efficiency of body use. I happen to love lifting weights because it is a hobby that frees up my mind from music and just the stress of life and school in general. Is there a balance you think that can be achieved or a better way to lift weights or do you think cardio is the best bet and leaving weights alone would be beneficial. I ask you because Doc Norris tells me I should stop lifting but a teacher of mine in Texas lifts weights 3 days a week, he benches 350 and plays the trumpet as good as anyone I've heard so I'm torn between the two....your insight would be awesome

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jeremy,

What I intended to impart was that lifting is okay if you know how to take the lifter's hat off when you play trumpet. If you work against the softness neccessary to allow the abdomen to be pliable enough for effective breathing well, you won't be an effective player.

Lifting is fine as long as you know how to keep the strength in the gym. Tight abs when you're playing are about as useful as a concrete balloon.

ML

3. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    Jeremy,

I am in the same situation as you. Just remember to keep breathing during each rep as you're working out. Exhaling out through your mouth will help keep your throat from tensing up...which WILL hurt your trpt playing. Also, you'd be suprised how much you get out of your muscles when you constantly supply them with oxygen DURING each set :D

Brad

4. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks for the imput guys.....I'll see what I can do.

Some exercises just can't be done relaxed but I will see what happens...

Jeremy

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Something I have begun to do is change my weight lifting routine from a lot of weight and 5 reps to lighter weights and more (15) reps. I would rather be built like Manny than Arnold. (lean and wiry instead of heavy and bulked up).

Another great excercise routine for this type of work is Tai Chi.......

6. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    lol! lean and wiry, that's awesome :lol:

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    If you like the feeling that wieghts will give you without getting bulky and tight, try purchasing a "Total Gym". This is the machine that has infomercials starring Chuck Norris.

With this machine you use your own body weight for resistance. It streches your muscles as well as gets them stronger. Its more like working out like a gymnist.

I have had it for 5 years and probably the best piece of equipment I have.

8. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    the total gym is awesome...
    I inherited one from my neighbors when they moved away!!

9. wlopicka

wlopicka Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2005
    New topic on Body Building message board

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  10. Hiwiller

Hiwiller New Friend

Dec 29, 2004
    near Cleveland, OH, USA
    Hi all,

I've worked out for many years and have to say that when playing, another aspect of muscle memory kicks in. There is no urge to 'flex' to display tight abs restricting my air. I think this is related to the fallacy that bodybuilders become "muscle-bound", thus always tight and inflexible. Quite the contrary, most bodybuilders I know develop a greater flexibility than most people throughout their physique. And if you have ever seen the guys backstage after a 'pose-off', huffing and puffing, you know that they get great abdomen expansion in their attempt to get air.

The lifestyle of a hardcore bodybuilder, however, would probably impact one's playing for several reasons. 1) Time devoted to succeed is probably more than time needed to achieve a significant proficiency on Trumpet. 2) Diet needs, especially around contest time can drain the body 3) and finally (G_d forbid) Roid induced problems such as facial acne, hostility, mood swings could SERIOUSLY affect your playing on so many levels.

Obviously I'm not 1/10th the player as Manny so take this for what it's worth... $.02 ;-)