lifting and trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Apr 13, 2005.

1. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Does doing crunches/situps everyother day hurt trumpet playing?

I've been doing lots of weight lifting (easy stuff though..mostly to tone my arms, not to build muscle) and cruches, sit-ups, leg lifts, and cardio lately. It's almost swimsuit season and I'm kinda out of shape from not doing anything this winter...

Will any of this hurt my playing? How do I keep my abs from tensing up when I play?

Thanks.
    Lara

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, all you young studs with your washboard abs,

Listen up:

It's less a question of ripped abs doing your trumpet playing harm as it is that you younger folk traditionally have trouble letting go of that strength when you're playing. You have to wear two hats. One hat is the one that lives for the vanity of the tight body at the beach. Fine. The other hat is the one that can let the tummy go flabby for effective (as relates to wind playing) trumpeting.

There's nothing wrong with ripped abs as long as you know when to let go for playing.

My experience has been that the studly looking players, male and female, have had trouble letting go of their vanity. One has to be able to switch modes.

ML

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    *Whew*

Some people have "6-pak abs".

Me, I have a "keg"........

:lol:

Actually, I am toning things up, mostly to help my low back. And the Kundalini Yoga I am doing helps keep things relaxed. You are right, though. 'Tis ok to hold in your gut when you are at the beach, but you need to "let go" (literally) when it comes time for trumpet playing.

(Thank G*d for cummerbunds)

:-P