Light Headed When playing in Upper register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nearpsited3, May 6, 2009.

1. Nearpsited3

Nearpsited3 New Friend

Apr 5, 2009
    BTW, even though those clips are serious, they are kinda funny! Thanks for posting, hopefully someone wont get me !

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Try this, imagine that your lips "float" on the air column. It could be from being out of shape and trying to play like before when you were in shape. This can cause you to overblow. do you spend private practice with your lead mpc to be sure your air has adjusted to it?

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Re the videos. That's what we call over blowing.

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    It sounds like you are performing a so-called Valsalva maneuver. This is caused by forced expiratory effort against a closed airway. This raises pressure in your chest which impedes blood return to the right side of the heart and reduces cardiac output. This is impedeing blood flow to your brain and can cause brain damage with constant repetition. I'd say your technique is flawed.(PS. I'm a doctor)

5. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    Bob's been right on in his evaluation. You're trying to overblow and muscle the notes out, instead of using your air efficiently. You don't need a lot of air to play high. It is the speed of the air, not the quantity. What's happening is that you have residual air that you're not using, which is essentially the same as holding you breath. If you hold your breath for too long, you'll pass out. People confuse loudness for intensity. Loudness spreads. Intensity knocks out the people in the back row.

RUFocused likes this.
  6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Oups! Geoff said the S word!!! :shock::troll:ROFL

7. Nearpsited3

Nearpsited3 New Friend

Apr 5, 2009
    Okay guys, getting some good feedback....Thanks....I realize i have excessive tension, but what are some things i conscientiously work on to not do this ? what are some good breathing exercises, and horn exercises ? What to focus on ? I know this is difficult to explain via web w/o seeing me play, but anything helps. Something may resonate with me! Thanks again

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  8. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Get a private teacher. they can see, explain how and why, and help you fix it. There are too many possibilities for us to "stab" at. although we know the root cause, we do not know what it causing that. get a tutor before you get hurt. Concussions hurt...i think....I can't remember.

9. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Play high notes as quiet as you can. :)

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You're wanting to work on high notes, right?
    I'm guessing you already know how to play high notes but get light-headed when you do. To avoid this valsalva maneuver (which might cause you to pass out or poop yourself), I would suggest two things:
    1)Read "Tongue Arch and Hiss" and practice this method.
    2)When you are playing high notes, notice when the pressure that makes you almost pass out BEGINS. Ask yourself "what causing this built up pressure"?
    My guess is that you are blowing too hard and trying to muscling out the notes as one person already mentioned.
    As you know, its the speed of the air that plays the high notes. How do you increase the speed of your air without passing out? By shrinking the oral cavity. Its kinda like putting your thumb on a water hose to make it squirt out faster. You increase the speed by making the opening(oral cavity) smaller. Good Luck